San V 2/18 Bees, busters and Bassholes!

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

San V 2/18 Bees, busters and Bassholes!

Post by Moose »

I know I’m going to sound like a grumpy old man here but please bear with me.

To the Basshole in the white Ranger with beige and black stripes. Just because I started in the same spot you wanted to doesn’t mean you continue to roll in on me until you, literally, cast across me! Get to the lake sooner if you want a certain spot.

To the two young Bassholes in the dark grey Skeeter. I get that you wanted to fish the spot where there was water flowing into the lake but when I’m 20yds from it and you come in close enough for me to cast ACROSS your boat, you’re too F’ing close!!

And to the Basshole in the grey/ maroon Triton. “No wake” means NO WAKE! It doesn’t mean hauling ass on plane halfway into the cove and THEN slowing down, only to speed up again when it looked like a guy who had been fishing the area for a while MIGHT be moving back to that area, so you could beat him to it!

Bassholes like you guys are the reason people hate bass fishermen! 🤬

Ok rant over, now onto the fishing. Way tougher today than it was Thu. The fish must have gotten hammered over the weekend. Still lots of males shallow but they were super skittish and wouldn’t bite anything (at least not for me). I didn’t get my first bite until just after 9:30 when I had moved back out into 25-35ft with a dropshot. Picked up three pretty quickly but then hit a lull until around Noon when I got fish on back to back casts.

About 2:00 I ran into Tollroad. There was a big algae bloom going on and the baitfish were up feeding. I have also never seen so many bees on the water and flying around me. They were all over for some reason. There were several groups of busters back there and I got 2 and busted one off on the hook set in one flurry. I got my last two fish in about 40ft on the dropshot.

Ended the day with 9 overall. The best 5 went 11.47 and my biggest was 2.87. Aside from the Bassholes it was a good day on the water.
Attachments
IMG_2048.jpeg
IMG_2091.jpeg
IMG_2110.jpeg
IMG_2054.jpeg
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Re: San V 2/18 Bees, busters and Bassholes!

Post by Pourboy »

My sentiments exactly. Great job out there and thanks for the reports.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

And that is why I NEVER fish holidays..and very rarely fish weekends! Congratulations on getting some fish, even though the knuckleheads tried to keep you from catching them! I'm not sure why fishing etiquette goes out the window on those days??
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

That’s one of the big reasons I quite tournament fishing several years ago. Put a few bucks and some points on the line and all common courtesy goes out the window! Now I fish for fun and it is SO much more relaxing (usually! 😅)

I’ve got about 3 weeks left of enjoying weekday fishing before I return to work. Going to be really hard to return to weekend fishing! ☹️
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Bass fishermen hating bass fishermen! FYI, float tubers and kayakers seem like the nicest people on the water, at least in my experience. Maybe something about having to work to get to a spot makes the difference. And we couldn't make a wake if we wanted to.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I hear you Moose.
I have learned to try to be more lenient when a guy with his family for example, are in rental boat and have no clue that when
they come close to where I am fishing or cut between me and the shoreline. Not fun, but I guess most do not really know any
better and are just out to have fun. Sometimes I look over the lake and it is like I am a freaking magnet to a family in a lake
boat as they many times have to come over toward me when the whole rest of the lake is open...ha ha
Now with SOME guys in bass boats, it is a different story. They should know better and more than a few times if
they start nosing into where I am fishing, I would ask them if they are joining me for lunch? Or I ask them if they were fishing
here would you like me coming up next to your spot and make casts? Most guys back off and say sorry....or I would have
got my butt kicked through the years.
Anyway, I also have experienced that if I am in my kayak, some guys think, it is ok to nose into my spot because they
figure.. oh, he is only in a kayak and does not know how to fish and we are in a expensive bass boat so its ok. I use the
same verbal responses but there often is a lack of respect as they are not happy being called out from a guy in kayak.
When I am in my boat I go out of my way to be courteous to other boats on the water......and especially guys in kayaks
and float tubes. Heck, there is no reason to bully my way into an area where someone is already fishing even if they
are on shore. Ok..enough of that.(fishing on holidays is something I try to avoid also).
Nice job out there Moose. Whether it is rain or shine, you always find a way to find the bass whether they are shallow or
deep. Always look forward to your fish reports and thanks for sharing your adventures(even dealing with Bassholes) with
all of us. Tight lines always. :-)
Tnwoody
Angler

Post by Tnwoody »

Well glad I wasnt in your rant, i was in a tracker and 2 of my buddies who were out where not mentioned either and all 3 of us fish tournaments. Sorry a few have to ruin it for people but I have been treated by guys like you mentioned numerous times and I am 77 yrs old and fished San Diego for 45+ years. There is always a few unfortunately. Glad you at least had a decent day. . Sorry you had to deal with it.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Tnwoody, To be clear I’m not hating on bass fishermen, I’m hating on the “Bassholes” who show no respect to others on the water. I will throw wakeboard boats in general in there too. Some are just fine but others insist on passing by a cast away with the huge wake they throw off.

I fished tournaments for almost 25yrs and I am native to San Diego so I have fished here my entire life. I’m 57. Sadly guys crowding other guys has always been happening but it seems to be getting worse. In my experience it seems to be younger guys who do it most often. There is just not as much common courtesy on the water any longer. Like VinnyBass, I will usually cut some slack to rental boaters, or family outing type boats, but bass guys know better. If a guy asks if he can fish an area, or specific spot, where I am, I will almost always agree simply because they showed me enough respect to ask. Politeness and courtesy go a LONG way!

I guarantee you that those guys would be pissed if I, or anyone else, moved in on them like they moved in on me. I’m a very laid back guy so I don’t usually say much but yesterday with the first guy I asked him if he wanted to “read my graph as well”. He didn’t say anything and after one more cast he turned and started fishing the other way. I also realize some guys may not realize the direction I am casting, especially when I’m Spot Locked so I make sure that they see where I am casting to give them a chance to change course.

VinnyBass, I always give kayakers, tubers, shore fishermen, and just other fishermen in general plenty of room. I also try to give a wide berth to tubers and yakkers so I don’t swamp them with my wake. I truly try to follow the Golden Rule and treat others with the same kind of respect and courtesy that I would like.
Last edited by Moose on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Good thing you managed a good day regardless of people being inconsiderate and thinking the world revolves around them.

This phenomenon just isn't happening with bass boaters on the water.

I call it the "Cartman-ization of Society."

Rippinlips
Pro Angler

Post by Rippinlips »

This post is so true though. Some guys just don't give a sh!t and its plain disrespectful. Glad you had a good day regardless.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Said it once, said it a thousand times...... San Diego County Bass Fishing= 10 Pounds of Fishermen in 3 Pounds of Lake.
At the Lower Colorado River of Havasu I never run in to others trying to encroach on my spot, because there is a abundance of shoreline.

With that said, it's just a bad in the ocean offshore, and look how big the ocean is. People are fishing for boats and not finding there own fish.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:04 am I hear you Moose.
I have learned to try to be more lenient when a guy with his family for example, are in rental boat and have no clue that when
they come close to where I am fishing or cut between me and the shoreline. Not fun, but I guess most do not really know any
better and are just out to have fun. Sometimes I look over the lake and it is like I am a freaking magnet to a family in a lake
boat as they many times have to come over toward me when the whole rest of the lake is open...ha ha
Now with SOME guys in bass boats, it is a different story. They should know better and more than a few times if
they start nosing into where I am fishing, I would ask them if they are joining me for lunch? Or I ask them if they were fishing
here would you like me coming up next to your spot and make casts? Most guys back off and say sorry....or I would have
got my butt kicked through the years.
Anyway, I also have experienced that if I am in my kayak, some guys think, it is ok to nose into my spot because they
figure.. oh, he is only in a kayak and does not know how to fish and we are in a expensive bass boat so its ok. I use the
same verbal responses but there often is a lack of respect as they are not happy being called out from a guy in kayak.
When I am in my boat I go out of my way to be courteous to other boats on the water......and especially guys in kayaks
and float tubes. Heck, there is no reason to bully my way into an area where someone is already fishing even if they
are on shore. Ok..enough of that.(fishing on holidays is something I try to avoid also).
Nice job out there Moose. Whether it is rain or shine, you always find a way to find the bass whether they are shallow or
deep. Always look forward to your fish reports and thanks for sharing your adventures(even dealing with Bassholes) with
all of us. Tight lines always. :-)
Very well put. It is very tiring when I'm in my tube to have guys in boats or mega-yaks or whatever cruise right in front of me. I do try to be very patient and talk kindly. I know that the lakes get a lot of pressure but I do appreciate if someone just asks if they can fish near me. 80% of the time I say yes.
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

My boat is in the shop...being painted...
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Is it a Ranger, Skeeter, or Triton?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Moose wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:30 am Is it a Ranger, Skeeter, or Triton?
Even I want to know the answer to that question. :-)

Is this it?????
USS Fisheromen.jpeg
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

1986 Glastron that smokes up the entire marina when I start her up! Have not had her on SV in 2 years.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

You’re safe from my wrath then! 🤣
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Screenshot_20240221-094427_Google.jpg
Always easy to spot Vinnybass out on Murray...
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Moose wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 am You’re safe from my wrath then! 🤣
Whew! 8-)
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

I fish out of a float tube. I'm marking myself safe from said and future rants.