Back to Vail lake and a PB!
- tomnilll
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
- Location: Oceanside
- Has thanked: 399 times
- Been thanked: 682 times
Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Headed out for the short trip north (for me from east Oside) to Vail lake. Got there first, love to see a clear bank. Was just getting light and walked the bank with 6 whopper plopper blowups and 2 fish...nothing special but...topwater. I walked farther than I ever had down the near shore and decided to head back more than a little disappointed because I caught my favorite Kistler rod at the back of what was to be a long cast (it was in my pack) and, snap it went...bummer. Nothing on the way back to the launch and by now the campers woke up and the bank was not clear...so I headed across the mud to the far shore.
Picked up a few little healthy guys and then lost one in some lumber and ended up with a bent hook. For some reason the phrase "big bait, big fish" popped into my head so i tied on a 5/0 EWG hook and put on a fresh worm. As I was about toss it out and saw a boil and thought "probably a carp" but what the hell and tossed at it and BANG! it was on. First time I saw her I still thought it was a carp...it was so big, it just did not make sense as a bass. After a bunch of line went out she came up again and I saw it was a bass and the holy shits started...I got really scared, but kept good tension and she made two more runs and then she was ready. Got her to the bank and grabbed her by the giant mouth and tried to lift her up and it was a struggle...any way here she is. A second picture showing my grimace trying to take the selfie and hold that pig up... And lastly, a blury picture of the scale...just in case you cant read it...it reads 10lbs 15oz!
Picked up a few little healthy guys and then lost one in some lumber and ended up with a bent hook. For some reason the phrase "big bait, big fish" popped into my head so i tied on a 5/0 EWG hook and put on a fresh worm. As I was about toss it out and saw a boil and thought "probably a carp" but what the hell and tossed at it and BANG! it was on. First time I saw her I still thought it was a carp...it was so big, it just did not make sense as a bass. After a bunch of line went out she came up again and I saw it was a bass and the holy shits started...I got really scared, but kept good tension and she made two more runs and then she was ready. Got her to the bank and grabbed her by the giant mouth and tried to lift her up and it was a struggle...any way here she is. A second picture showing my grimace trying to take the selfie and hold that pig up... And lastly, a blury picture of the scale...just in case you cant read it...it reads 10lbs 15oz!
-
hosemonkey
- Angler
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Sat May 06, 2023 2:43 pm
- Location: SD
- Been thanked: 28 times
- otaymichael
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 364
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:56 am
- Has thanked: 990 times
- Been thanked: 554 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Too cool.
OK, see the note on the weight, 10.15.
Congrats.
OK, see the note on the weight, 10.15.
Congrats.
Last edited by otaymichael on Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- VinnyBass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 2125
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
- Has thanked: 2823 times
- Been thanked: 3430 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Congratulations on the new PB!
Very nice!!!!
Thanks for sharing and tight lines always
Very nice!!!!
Thanks for sharing and tight lines always
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
-
Osidecoffee
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2024 9:21 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 378 times
- Been thanked: 198 times
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 532 times
-
vito1023
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 462 times
- Been thanked: 203 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Beautiful fish, largest I’ve seen posted this year I think.
Congrats
Congrats
- 1Fishdude
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Mon May 08, 2023 12:20 am
- Location: Oceanside
- Has thanked: 273 times
- Been thanked: 299 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Congrats Tom. What a great fish. Vail and Henshaw were my go to lakes when learning to fish for bass.
-
Kenroe
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:15 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 18 times
- Been thanked: 46 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
I have great memories fishing Vail & Skinner in the early 80's.
Private boats were permitted at both & it was great fishing.
Ahh, the good Ole days...
Private boats were permitted at both & it was great fishing.
Ahh, the good Ole days...
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 532 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
I still remember having to slip Yaraslov $10 to fish from shore there years ago.
Those were the days.
-
Queue
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:16 am
- Location: SoCal
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 117 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
I've done many laps around that lake with an Eboat over the last 8 years and shocked several thousand bass and not gotten one over 7 lbs. You got yourself a unicorn. Congratulations!
- JWall
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 986
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
- Has thanked: 3402 times
- Been thanked: 1239 times
- KillinTime
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 653
- Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:06 pm
- Has thanked: 607 times
- Been thanked: 635 times
- tomnilll
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
- Location: Oceanside
- Has thanked: 399 times
- Been thanked: 682 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
I think its the first one over 3 lbs for me too!Queue wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:56 am I've done many laps around that lake with an Eboat over the last 8 years and shocked several thousand bass and not gotten one over 7 lbs. You got yourself a unicorn. Congratulations!
- Pourboy
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 605
- Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm
- Has thanked: 1365 times
- Been thanked: 1022 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Amazing fish and great story. Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there in decades. Cheers!
- tomnilll
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
- Location: Oceanside
- Has thanked: 399 times
- Been thanked: 682 times
Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!
Thanks! Where do i pick up the club patch and learn the secret hand shake?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest