Poaching

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Poaching

Post by DarkShadow »

What has been the most egregious example of poaching that you have seen that you just had to call Cal Tip?

I saw a good one today.

I showed up to the local pond today, and saw a guy doing the following:

1. Using TWO hoop nets. He was baiting the nets with cut up bluegill.

2. Using a throw net as well. You know, while the hoop nets filled up.

3. A bucket full of baby bluegill and 2 inch bass fry.

And the kicker.

The dude had SIX lines attached to a metal fence, all with live bluegill at the end.

:D

I swear people nowadays.
kahuna bass
Angler

Re: Poaching

Post by kahuna bass »

DarkShadow,

Times have changed. Who fears getting caught or even tried for an offense. There is no fear for the law or regulations. He’ll get a slap on the hand and told to stop. It’s hard to not make this political.

One reason why it was time to leave.

Mel Kahuna bass
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Sounds like Loveland the last couple years. There were a few times I wanted to call but no signal. I came around a corner and a lady had close to 50 gills she was cutting and stuffing in a backpack. I scared her so bad, she fell on the knife she had clamped in here teeth, I thought she definitely impaled herself but didn’t. Someone said it was her second trip down the trail that day. Shame
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

In 2013 4 guys got caught poaching a thousand fish at Cayon Lake in Riverside County, got no jail time, slight fine, and a little probation
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

I suspect as times and the general economy get tougher, more and more people will resort to poaching of both fish and game, especially those who don't know anything about regulations and the law in America.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Many years ago while fishing Lake Poway, I was casting along the buoy lines as bass were chasing shad and saw a line tied to the buoy line. Naturally I had to see what was on the end and it was a trotline. I knew it was illegal and cut it off and started pulling it in. It seemed like it took forever and was baited with nightcrawlers and pieces of mackerel I believe and no fish on it. I removed part of my lunch from a plastic bag and carefully put it all inside of it and took it to the boat dock and told them about it. They said they would keep an eye on the area I found it but I never saw any action taken as I continues to fish in different areas. I guess if they saw the guy actually pulling it in or setting it something would have happened but at least I did what I thought was right. I imagine the guy would play dumb if they did catch the guy and they would just tell him now to do it again.
Anyone who has watched those Game Warden shows on channel 54 on Cox cable(Louisiana Law, North Woods law, Lone Star Law etc.) can see that other states take things really seriously on poaching or not having a license etc. They play by the book.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Saw a guy with more than 80 HUGE ghost shrimp.
The guy swore he was gonna release the overlimit, but the warden rolled up on him when he got distracted by spotted bay bass.
Oh, wait, that was me.
$273 wiser.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

Hard not to slap some sense into them myself! But assault is never worth the lesson 😂
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Hellavate wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:59 pm Hard not to slap some sense into them myself! But assault is never worth the lesson 😂
I'm not even worried about the assault charge.

Nowadays, you never know who's strapped.

https://ktvz.com/news/crime-courts/2023 ... -arrested/

Don't wanna end up on the local news.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

There’s an actual loophole law that if you are fishing especially in remote areas, you’re allowed to carry even if you don’t have a permit.
Some places that are private like cuyamaca for example can supersede the law. I’m not sure about other entities like Sweetwater for example. But if it’s a state water way, you can open carry a firearm while fishing legally. (Last I checked)
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

I was up in La Jolla around Bird Rock, when a scuba guy came walking out of the water with an orange fish on the end of his spear..I asked him if he knew what it was and he said "yep, a red snapper! I said "nope, a garibaldi, the state fish and it's protected..might cost you $500." He threw it back in the water, ran to his truck and took off..still wearing his wetsuit..!
iCatch
Angler

Post by iCatch »

Mcfish wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:42 pm I was up in La Jolla around Bird Rock, when a scuba guy came walking out of the water with an orange fish on the end of his spear..I asked him if he knew what it was and he said "yep, a red snapper! I said "nope, a garibaldi, the state fish and it's protected..might cost you $500." He threw it back in the water, ran to his truck and took off..still wearing his wetsuit..!
Wow! The guy must be color blind.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

If you want a first hand experience of violation after violation, just take a stroll down any public pier.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

camobass wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:43 am If you want a first hand experience of violation after violation, just take a stroll down any public pier.
Do you think the amount of violations occurring are directly proportionate to the fact that fishing public piers do not require a fishing license?

Would requiring a valid CA fishing license on piers reduce the amount of violations that occur?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

That’s a loaded question because then it gets into judgment of character with people who don’t want or can’t buy a fishing license.
This is all my opinion. For the most part, people who have been purchasing licenses since they turned 16 or started fishing most likely have some sort of desire to know/comply with law and by having a license is evidence in itself. Also, one of the biggest things, if you have a valid fishing license, you are required to know the laws specifically to your angling techniques and area. Ignorance is no excuse in violating law per law.

In other words I believe a license holder is trying to abide even if they don’t know all the rules. People who don’t have a license and still fish in most cases don’t care about law. Sounds harsh I know, I also know that the roles are reversed - License holders purposely violate law and non holders stick to rules on piers.I just think percentages are higher for compliance with license holders.

I can’t help but think of those up north who hooked that great white off the pier and gaffed it. Broad daylight completely oblivious to any laws. Game wardens didn’t care they didn’t know.

In the end, just in my lifetime of living here, things are getting worse. People don’t value the resources. License or not. The trash left all over the shoreline at places like Loveland for example is evidence that people just don’t care. If you can walk into a store and walk out with $700 in stolen merchandise legally why would expect anything different fishing.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Would requiring a valid CA fishing license on piers reduce the amount of violations that occur?

No.

I know guys (who have been buying licenses since they turned 16) who have no idea of size and bag limits....and in some cases, that certain critters they harvest on a regular basis are completely protected. And they don't seem to care.

And pragmatically, people should have free access to a natural, renewable resource such as the ocean. If you want to feed your family on queenfish or bass or guitarfish, and are only allowed free access in coastal areas totaling a few hundred yards along our county's coast....you should be able to do so for free, as long as you follow the size and bag limits. The state's only interest is maintaining the sustainability of the resource.

But knuckleheads gonna knucklehead...so there should be wardens camping out at the piers and hammering any violators.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Your buddies shouldn’t even bother buying a license. That’s the least of their worries. Lol.
Like I said above, people definitely purposely break rules that are licensed. But if I was a gambling man, I would say in a group of 10 people with license’s, there are a higher percentage of people aware of rules pertaining to their fishing environment and comply than say a group of 10 who fish and never buy license.
Aside from bucket brigader’s on the pier, I’ve known of individuals in my past who prided themselves in never buying license’s and they also prided themselves in everything being a free for all, no rules apply to them. For whatever reason, this type of thinking seems to be high (no pun intended) amongst the tweaker community.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

camobass wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 am walk out with $700 in stolen merchandise legally
It's $950!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Damn
kahuna bass
Angler

Post by kahuna bass »

camobass wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 am That’s a loaded question because then it gets into judgment of character with people who don’t want or can’t buy a fishing license.
This is all my opinion. For the most part, people who have been purchasing licenses since they turned 16 or started fishing most likely have some sort of desire to know/comply with law and by having a license is evidence in itself. Also, one of the biggest things, if you have a valid fishing license, you are required to know the laws specifically to your angling techniques and area. Ignorance is no excuse in violating law per law.

In other words I believe a license holder is trying to abide even if they don’t know all the rules. People who don’t have a license and still fish in most cases don’t care about law. Sounds harsh I know, I also know that the roles are reversed - License holders purposely violate law and non holders stick to rules on piers.I just think percentages are higher for compliance with license holders.

I can’t help but think of those up north who hooked that great white off the pier and gaffed it. Broad daylight completely oblivious to any laws. Game wardens didn’t care they didn’t know.

In the end, just in my lifetime of living here, things are getting worse. People don’t value the resources. License or not. The trash left all over the shoreline at places like Loveland for example is evidence that people just don’t care. If you can walk into a store and walk out with $700 in stolen merchandise legally why would expect anything different fishing.
Camobass,

Well said! Rules, regulations, laws - It's a part of life. It just comes down to respecting them and abiding by them. It's not getting any better. I may get criticized for saying this, but different countries would not tolerate the nonsense that was going through in the USA. Singapore still believes in the cane. Middle East - steal/break the law, you lose your fingers or hand. Though this is much more extreme, it's the way to deter law-breaking.

We've gotten too soft, lack respect and just generally don't give a poop. It's just sad.

I better stop, time to chase a stray cow off my ranch.....and I thought my nice neighbors gifted me a cow for a nice housewarming gift. I should go claim it and start the BBQ. Life is good here in Kentucky.

Mel - Kahuna bass