8/25 EC no bubbles

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

My plan was to fish for a while at the bubbles then put some time in on the bait craze. Well took that no bubbles then lets try out the new greatest thing. I have 4 all different urchins (hags, Berkley, 6 sense and some cheap Temu). I have different hooks for them and have the weights. I was exited to see what was going to happen. I was trying every fishing way that I read, watched and could think of. Different weights, hooks and areas. NOTHING!!! 1 bite pretty sure it was a blue gill. I watched on my FFS, they chased it, all over it and came from a distance to look at it. Now the really bad part 6 hours I put in to these bates. I did a few times throw something else to catch one so I knew I wasn't dreaming. I was exhausted, frustrated and pissed off. I had 4 fish at that time. I started my usual DS and put another 13 into the net. When I snapped of I was to tired to retie so packed it up.
My question has anyone used the urchin and had any luck.
Attachments
IMG_6949.JPG
IMG_6945(1).JPG
IMG_6943(1).JPG
IMG_6941(1).JPG
IMG_6940(1).JPG
Conejos I'm in 6' of water
Conejos I'm in 6' of water
User avatar
tomnilll
Extreme Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
Location: Oceanside
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 682 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by tomnilll »

My experience is similar to yours...lots of different rigs, lots of casts (all from shore) at 3 different bodies of water and so far...not a single bite...must be me.

Well, and you...us?

Tom
User avatar
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:53 pm
Location: Ramona
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Fisheromen »

The guys on YouTube are killing it!

That lake's pert near empty!
nathannichols
Angler
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 12:36 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by nathannichols »

Nice ones! Those coike balls are great with FFS but other than that they seem like a crap-shoot. I’ll be out at cap in the morning so fingers crossed that the shad bite is still firing on all cylinders!
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

nathannichols wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2026 10:18 am Nice ones! Those coike balls are great with FFS but other than that they seem like a crap-shoot. I’ll be out at cap in the morning so fingers crossed that the shad bite is still firing on all cylinders!
I fished them with FFS, watched them for hours all over by baits. The shad are everywhere and the bass are on them. Lets us know how you did.
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

Fisheromen wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:27 am The guys on YouTube are killing it!

That lake's pert near empty!
Either the bass are stupid back there or I am. Don't answer that!
Bites on youtube look like one after another, but it could be hours or days.
nathannichols
Angler
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 12:36 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by nathannichols »

Dfishin wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2026 12:31 pm
nathannichols wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2026 10:18 am Nice ones! Those coike balls are great with FFS but other than that they seem like a crap-shoot. I’ll be out at cap in the morning so fingers crossed that the shad bite is still firing on all cylinders!
I fished them with FFS, watched them for hours all over by baits. The shad are everywhere and the bass are on them. Lets us know how you did.
Will do. Hopefully I don’t have to kick way back to get on any fish!
Rw81
Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2026 1:59 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Rw81 »

I’m glad it’s not just me. I’ve fished the urchin in the lakes around here and even a few places they don’t see it often. Nothing. They love to sniff it and say hey on the FF.

I say they only work on YouTube lol
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

I haven't given up yet, I will catch at least 1 fish. Maybe! AI is messing with us.
TIM
Angler
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2025 2:59 pm
Location: Vista
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by TIM »

Same here no luck on Urchins. Tried other baits in areas of fishing urchins and caught fish. Fished urchins set up all different hooks weights you name it. Fished Tahoe Keys friends house caught plenty of bass not on a urchin. So I have tried fishing them in differant lakes areas. SD lakes Vincente, Miramar, Murray no luck. Going to try in Clear Lake at another friends house and what we call Lake X another lake while up in the north. Good luck
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Bendo »

Why jump on the latest craze? Fish your confidence Baits and fish them hard. Size, Color, and Cadence. Those factors matter.
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

If I did that I would sill be using my Shakespeare fiberglass rod with a Shakespeare reel, with mono and a black auger tail worm Texas rigged.
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Bendo »

Being an avid Float Tube Fisherman, I don’t really buy Terminal Tackle, I find it all in the Trees snagged up, in the Reeds, next to access spots and just floating around. My latest find was 2 Whopper Ploppers in the back of a deep Cove. Last week I found an Alabama Rig snagged on a dock. Haven’t found an Urchin Bait yet but see them hanging off everybody’s lines. Soon enough. It might be the same thing that happened to Bill Dances’ “Helicopter Lure”. Works great on unpressured water where most any Lure could get bit.Time will tell. The Lure itself might look like a Bait Ball to a Pea Brained Bass. They love those. I’ll stick with my Super Soecial Lure that catches Fresh and Saltwater Fish, everywhere I go….thanks ZMan!
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

That is funny. I caught plenty of bass at San V back in the day, on the Helicopter. It was around the island let it fall at shore next to deep rock drop offs.
I will try stuff and decide if I will continue with it. So you tried ZMan?
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Bendo »

Maybe that wasn’t the example I should have used. I guess a lot of people caught fish on the Helicopter Lure. Yes I’ve been Fishing some ZMan stuff in a Novel way and killing it. But there really aren't any Magic Lures. Just Lures you can successfully present in front of the Fishes Mouth that they seem to eat regularly.
User avatar
Dfishin
Extreme Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1151 times
Been thanked: 725 times

Re: 8/25 EC no bubbles

Post by Dfishin »

Back in the day when we would fishing rivers I would put banjo minnows on my kids and me. We caught so many trout. Fly fisherman would ask me what are you using. Now I use flukes or senkos, works great
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest