How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Post Reply
User avatar
Pourboy
Extreme Angler
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm
Has thanked: 1365 times
Been thanked: 1022 times

How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Pourboy »


Hey all,
I have heard that I have not been posting on here enough lately. So here you go! I have had a lot of people say that I have to try launching and fishing from Pepper Park in National City (San Diego Bay). I decided to give it a go. I got there a bit after 5:30am and found out that it doesn't open for the launch until 6am. Just then it opened a bit early. I met @Dannicus , @Early release and my buddy Brad out there and we launched to a beautiful sunrise. I wanted to make a video about fishing a spot that you have never fished before. Case in point. So as we headed out the Sweetwater Channel I used the fish finder to figure out the depth and try to find some transition spots where it went from deep channel to flats. That was found quickly and so were the bass. We all steadily caught fish throughout the morning on a variety of baits. Cranks, chatters, jigs, etc.

The fish were caught first on the slopes (4-18'), then the flats (5-10') and then finally we targeted the channel itself (20-25ft). We really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out a new area and had success with each. We did also have a bourbon tasting on the bay which was also super fun. I ended up having a camera battery issue and was not able to film the last portion of the day where we got into a big school of YFC (only one got recorded) and finally a nice Bonefish.

All in all it was a super fun day exploring a new area of San Diego Bay and had a great time catching fish with a great group of friends. Check out the video if you want and Part 2 is coming soon. Cheers!
Chris
User avatar
Socalspartan
Pro Angler
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2025 7:38 am
Location: Carlsbad
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Socalspartan »

That spottie was a beast!
User avatar
Pourboy
Extreme Angler
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm
Has thanked: 1365 times
Been thanked: 1022 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Pourboy »

That was a super fun fish on 5lb test! A nice challenge!
User avatar
Dannicus
Extreme Angler
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:55 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 2222 times
Been thanked: 2480 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Dannicus »

Great job as always Chris! I had a rough time that day. That grass played hell with my motor. I gotta figure out a different mount that allows me better access to clean out fouled stuff haha.
User avatar
Socalspartan
Pro Angler
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2025 7:38 am
Location: Carlsbad
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Socalspartan »

Dannicus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2026 2:21 am Great job as always Chris! I had a rough time that day. That grass played hell with my motor. I gotta figure out a different mount that allows me better access to clean out fouled stuff haha.
Getting your fingers in there is tough (after pulling kill switch, of course). Bixby needs a quick release so we can pop the guard off completely.
User avatar
JWall
Extreme Angler
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 3402 times
Been thanked: 1239 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by JWall »

My favorite launch point in the bay. Never crowded!
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Bendo »

Man I got on a school of Bass right where that Channel dumps into the Main Bay on an outgoing Tide last year. The Bass schooled up so much that many Bass would follow each hooked fish. They started of smaller Grade and got bigger as the Tide picked up. They were even chasing bait up onto the Mud Flats. I tried hard to get one on a Zara Spook to no avail. Still haven’t got a Halibut or Spottie on the Topwater but I will try ‘till I die. As the Tide dropped off the bite slowed down but allowed me to kick back in toward the Ramp. I went under the Pilings of the Big Dock there and hooked more Bass but they would pop you off quick on the mussel covered Wood. I only landed about half but did get a giant Yellowfin Croaker that sucked down a 5 inch Swimbaits. There is a dock filled Inlet next to the Launch Ramp now, it might hold some fish at high Tide. I’ll give it a go next time I’m down there. Newport Bay has been so good I really haven’t traveled too much lately. Here was my Hot Bait for that session. A ZMan Razor Shad in “The Deal”. I didn’t like the Color until I tried it. A little dot of Gel Super Glue and pinch down the Barb and you can whale on them for hours, just retie when your line gets frayed.
Attachments
IMG_2994.jpeg
Last edited by Bendo on Tue Aug 25, 2026 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 649 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Gotfish? »

Bendo wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:12 pm Man I got on a school of Bass right where that Channel dumps into the Main Bay on an outgoing Tide last year. The Bass schooled up so much that many Bass would follow each hooked fish. They started of smaller Grade and got bigger as the Tide picked up. They were even chasing bait up onto the Mud Flats. I tried hard to get one on a Zara Spook to no avail. Still haven’t got a Halibut or Spottie on the Topwater but I will try ‘till I die. As the Tide dropped off the bite slowed down but allowed me to kick back in toward the Ramp. I went under the Pilings of the Big Dock there and hooked more Bass but they would pop you off quick on the mussel covered Wood. I only landed about half but did get a giant Yellowfin Croaker that sucked down a 5 inch Swimbaits. There is a dock filled Inlet next to the Launch Ramp now, it might hold some fish at high Tide. I’ll give it a go next time I’m down there. Newport Bay has been so good I really haven’t traveled too much lately. Here was my Hot Bait for that session. A ZMan Razor Shad in “The Deal”. I didn’t like the Color until I tried it. A little dot of Gel Super Glue and pinch down the Barb and you can shake on them for hours, just retie when your line gets frayed.
Your best bet for catching a halibut on a topwater in the bay is in about 6' of water at low tide next to flats. Shallower than 6' and they probably won't be there, much deeper and they probably won't come to the surface. They are most active at low tide. And yes, I have caught a halibut that way but not a spotty. A floating jerkbait is almost topwater and will catch both species though.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Carpkiller »

Great video as always. I have fished out of there with mixed results. It's a good spot to begin or end one-way Tide Rides, if you can portage your gear...or have two vehicles. From there to J Street (or vice versa) covers a lot of different terrain.
On one such trip there were several squalls that came through, and the bite picked up briefly after the the rain. I didn't catch many fish that day, but got 4 spotties in a row as I passed the fishing pier on the way back to the ramp. As far as the guys on the pier knew, I'd been killing it all day!
Thanks for the reminder that I gotta get back down there....
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
vito1023
Extreme Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 462 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by vito1023 »

Gotfish? wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:32 pm
Bendo wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:12 pm Man I got on a school of Bass right where that Channel dumps into the Main Bay on an outgoing Tide last year. The Bass schooled up so much that many Bass would follow each hooked fish. They started of smaller Grade and got bigger as the Tide picked up. They were even chasing bait up onto the Mud Flats. I tried hard to get one on a Zara Spook to no avail. Still haven’t got a Halibut or Spottie on the Topwater but I will try ‘till I die. As the Tide dropped off the bite slowed down but allowed me to kick back in toward the Ramp. I went under the Pilings of the Big Dock there and hooked more Bass but they would pop you off quick on the mussel covered Wood. I only landed about half but did get a giant Yellowfin Croaker that sucked down a 5 inch Swimbaits. There is a dock filled Inlet next to the Launch Ramp now, it might hold some fish at high Tide. I’ll give it a go next time I’m down there. Newport Bay has been so good I really haven’t traveled too much lately. Here was my Hot Bait for that session. A ZMan Razor Shad in “The Deal”. I didn’t like the Color until I tried it. A little dot of Gel Super Glue and pinch down the Barb and you can shake on them for hours, just retie when your line gets frayed.
Your best bet for catching a halibut on a topwater in the bay is in about 6' of water at low tide next to flats. Shallower than 6' and they probably won't be there, much deeper and they probably won't come to the surface. They are most active at low tide. And yes, I have caught a halibut that way but not a spotty. A floating jerkbait is almost topwater and will catch both species though.
I read your post and I wanted to add that about 4 years ago at low tide I was just getting into bay fishing and decided to fish Ingram street bridge I was told to bring my fresh water bass gear and I would be able to hook up with some Spotted Bass, I went early morning and stared using top water bait to test the waters, after a few casts I think I’m stuck on some grass when I pull to get loose and a fish pulling my line, after a nice fight I get the fish to shore and because I didn’t bring a measuring tape, I laid it down on the sand measured with my feet it was a few inches longer then both wader boots I had on, I knew it had to be legal, I forgot my phone in the car so i couldn’t take a photo so I decided to let it go and maybe I would be rewarded in the long run, I was stunned that I got him on top water and I still can’t believe it.
End to the story I’ve gone back and fished that same spot several times I haven’t caught any Halibut I have caught Spotties there though.
I doubt I’ll ever catch another Halibut on top again.
User avatar
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 649 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by Gotfish? »

And there is always the possibility of catching corvina on topwater lures. Halibut on topwater is always fun because no one expects that.

In Mexico, there are manta rays that get to 12' across that will jump completely out of the water. Speculation is that they are trying to rid themselves of parasites.

I once saw a catfish feeding on a dead duck on the surface in an Imperial Valley canal. I have often seen sting rays swimming near the surface in the bay.

Bottom fish don't always stay on the bottom.
monstahfish
Pro Angler
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 03, 2023 11:25 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: How To Fish A New Spot On The Bay

Post by monstahfish »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2026 7:17 am And there is always the possibility of catching corvina on topwater lures. Halibut on topwater is always fun because no one expects that.

In Mexico, there are manta rays that get to 12' across that will jump completely out of the water. Speculation is that they are trying to rid themselves of parasites.

I once saw a catfish feeding on a dead duck on the surface in an Imperial Valley canal. I have often seen sting rays swimming near the surface in the bay.

Bottom fish don't always stay on the bottom.
I was at hodges when the water was reallly high way back in the sticks. There was a turtle sitting on this log, I looked away to make my next cast and heard a big glug and the turtle was gone and a giant tail was sticking out the water swimming away. Had to have been a big cat. You just never know what could happen or you might see and that's one of my favorite things about fishing.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests