How do you decide where to fish?

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

How do you decide where to fish?

Post by Neuroshima »

Salt or fresh? Bay or surf? Creeks or lakes? Which bay? Which beach? Which lake? Which creek? Which area? Rocks or sand? Grass or channels?

Oh, first-world San Diegan problems.

Every time I get the opportunity to fish, it's "struggle" on where to go. Doesn't help that I only get a few hours, one day of the week at most. I somewhat post this in jest, but I am generally curious on how you approach fishing our waters. Do you follow any guiding principles that help make your decisions?
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Re: How do you decide where to fish?

Post by TaBASSco »

I think a lot of people have a lot of ways they make the determination. Whether they like fresh or salt water fishing better and what kind of tackle they like and have, if they are on foot, in a float tube, or a boat and what kind of boat. What species they enjoy catching. How far or near they have to go to fish. Maybe they have go-to favorite spots that are"old faithful" producers, or just a pretty or peaceful venue. What kind of budget they are on. Will they brave any weather, or are they just fair weather weekend warriors. Whether they want to avoid crowds, or don't care as long as the bite is on. So many different types and styles of anglers and just as many ways to pick a spot.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
Werfless
Angler

Post by Werfless »

Depends on time. 45 minutes, mission Bay is close, a little more time and SSC or LJ come into play. A whole day? IV every time.. otherwise I'll just do what I can and not worry about it...
Bassmann86
Angler

Post by Bassmann86 »

For me it’s do I get skunked tossing big baits, attempt to fly fish or run to the bay just to get bit
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Timing is the biggest constraint. If you're limited and just want to go and pull on something then a local pond or golf course pond is a go to, especially if you don't want to spend 11 bucks for a lake permit if you're only going to be there for a couple hours. Even going down to the bay and or pier to throw crank baits can be a headache when dealing with traffic, pedestrians, and folks that still don't know how to park let alone drive.

For me, I have all the gear from lake, to inshore and offshore fishing but whether I'm walking the bank, hopping in my float tube or taking my boat offshore I'll want a solid day to fish and depending on where I go and whole other day to recover and clean.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

https://pickerwheel.com/?id=MmKkS

Friday afternoons I need some help... Just for San Diego! You can make your own, add your own choices.
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos
Spud
Angler

Post by Spud »

Well I guess mb would be my go to spot. I've got a lot time shore fishing mb. Still going for a truly large spotted bass dj knows what I'm after I'll get one.you really can't beat a bat ray on light line and wet rocks. Also fish San v when I can.looking forward to fishing murry.not sure how about shore fishing there.thanks to all from the old forum that helped become a better fisherman.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

blackcloud9 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:48 pm https://pickerwheel.com/?id=MmKkS

Friday afternoons I need some help... Just for San Diego! You can make your own, add your own choices.
This will probably come in handy more often than the current conditions dictate.

During the summer, when my availability aligns with the incoming tide, you can bet that I'll be on the sand patrolling for corbina. With the low tide keeping them off the beach for hours, they're usually in an aggressive feeding mode when the tide rolls in.

Springtime is always more difficult when deciding on where to fish. Last weekend, sunrise coincided with a rising tide. This weekend, it's the opposite. Think I might hit the bay and ride the falling tide around.
Easy
Angler

Post by Easy »

Whatever I'm in the mood to target or what type of environment I want to fish is my main deciding factor. Then tide, wind direction ect. If I want to fish freshwater, that's more drive time, so I usually plan ahead for that. Most of the time I'm fishing more spur of the moment and close to home. There's certainly lots of options in San Diego.
fiiishtaco
Angler

Post by fiiishtaco »

Wind, tide and wave intervals.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

I have a creek bag ready to go for when an afternoon opportunity presents itself....or if a planned trip unravels. Not a good option a few days after any rain.
With a day off work and time to plan:
Check tides.
Good in the a.m.? Less wind in the mornings for tubing on the big bay.
Good p.m. tides..maybe tubing Mission Bay or the more shelter spots on SD Bay (Glorietta or J Street).
What day of the week? Weekends mean parking complications unless I go early.
A big incoming tide....good for surf.fishing. haven't done a lot of that lately but want to do more this summer.
Lots of.variables....
Joining a friend or two is always fun, even if their plans aren't what I would.do on my own.
And there's always "Haven't been there in a while....gonna have a look."
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

blackcloud9 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:48 pm https://pickerwheel.com/?id=MmKkS

Sitting here drinking coffee this morning and scanning around the site. OMG....that pickerwheel you posted was the funniest and yet
most creative thing I have seen in a long while. I almost spit up some coffee while laughing. I hope others will check it out and I will share it with a few buddies who may not have seen it.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
Tight lines. :-)
IMG_5574.jpg