Barrett water level

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Big C
Pro Angler

Barrett water level

Post by Big C »

Noticed that the water level for Barrett is 80%. This is the highest it has been in years. Should be a lot of new areas to explore and fish. Looking forward to a fun season at the Big B.
Nute
Angler

Re: Barrett water level

Post by Nute »

Yessir!!! Opener is gonna be a shit show. We've had an extreme influx of LA goat boaters that literally have their instagram tags on the side of their rigs. Hopefully common sense and courtesy will maintain, but I doubt it.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Water is getting close to the pine creek service road bridge. Water is still flowing good in horsethief canyon and all the springs up here are running good. Looking forward to Barrett this year.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Fish are going to be spread out all over the place. Next year should be fantastic though as the fish population catches up with the expanded area. Still looking forward to fishing it, even if it means working harder than usual.
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Gotfish? wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:20 pm Fish are going to be spread out all over the place. Next year should be fantastic though as the fish population catches up with the expanded area. Still looking forward to fishing it, even if it means working harder than usual.
They are faster than you think. Remember Hodges had level by the dam, and had a rainy season, was flowing over the dam in a couple of months. Was surprised bass were all the way back in Bernardo arm within a week. Blew my mind.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

otaymichael wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:03 pm
Gotfish? wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:20 pm Fish are going to be spread out all over the place. Next year should be fantastic though as the fish population catches up with the expanded area. Still looking forward to fishing it, even if it means working harder than usual.
They are faster than you think. Remember Hodges had level by the dam, and had a rainy season, was flowing over the dam in a couple of months. Was surprised bass were all the way back in Bernardo arm within a week. Blew my mind.
I meant before the fish population has increased correspondingly to the area increase. It takes only days before the fish migrate to the newly flooded areas. I have seen years where there has been a rapid increase in water level that the fish are much more spread out and consequently harder to locate.

Good news is that with all the extra flooded area, the baitfish population should explode and that bodes well for the bass population increasing.
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

Anticipation is running high... Let's go!
TommyP
Angler

Post by TommyP »

I spoke to the a City Engineer on Friday...........he said "Barrett will spill in the next couple of weeks". They will not drain it as Otay is 100%. FGF.........D

TommyP
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Post by risentidefishing »

TommyP wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:11 pm I spoke to the a City Engineer on Friday...........he said "Barrett will spill in the next couple of weeks". They will not drain it as Otay is 100%. FGF.........D

TommyP
Any idea when the last time it spilled over was? Got a tube spot for Opening day. Chomping at the bit!!!
TommyP
Angler

Post by TommyP »

I have a picture of me standing in one of the spill gates back in 2010 or 2011, about 1 foot from spilling.
GBell
Angler

Post by GBell »

Still kicking myself for not taking video of all rock piles and shore structure when it was down to a "puddle" the last few years!!
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

89.7 percent full.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Does anyone know how parking will work this year with the higher water levels? I know Pigs could be really challenging the last couple years with 1001 kayaks at the same time.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

When is parking not challenging?….about a month in
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

TommyP wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:11 pm I spoke to the a City Engineer on Friday...........he said "Barrett will spill in the next couple of weeks". They will not drain it as Otay is 100%. FGF.........D

TommyP
I might want to stay away from the dam in my float tube if the water will be flowing over it. Could be in for a wild ride otherwise.
Bg90
Angler

Post by Bg90 »

How will parking be like at pigs with the water this high? Anyone have any ideas?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Just not gonna have the skinny old road that turns at the point down to the cove.