End of year in a frozen land.

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

End of year in a frozen land.

Post by TaBASSco »

Well, my fishing year ended with not much of a bang up in prairieland. Most of the lakes to the north of where I live are frozen over, and much of the north end of Flaming Gorge is frozen over also. SinceI have no desire to shuffle out on frozen water, I have been driving south to hit warmer areas that still offer shore fishing (and boat launching for those lucky enough to have a boat to launch). For boat anglers, there are still plenty of lakers to find in the deep. For shore anglers, things have slowed down quite a bit. Best times for catching any numbers seems to be at night or around sun up, neither of which are very appealing to me, since I already have problems with my rod guide inserts icing up at 28 degrees, and single digit temps when the sun isn't present are only worse.
Luckily though, there has not been too many snow events (yet), so roads are clear, and shorelines accessible. I fished few times in December, and while numbers were low (in fact, the last two time I went, I got skunked), when I found fish, they were generally hefty enough. I expect that we will be in for some snowy conditions pretty soon, however. On the bright side, there are only three more months before we get some spring-like weather.
Last edited by TaBASSco on Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Re: End of year in a frozen land.

Post by Midnightpass »

Oooo pretty fish… But it does look cold…
Butch
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

Midnightpass wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:54 pm Oooo pretty fish… But it does look cold…
Butch
Yup. The water started to freeze over right at the end of November. I was surprised to see my high plains lake completely covered over in ice on December 5th. On the same day, I spotted a deer stuck out on the ice of a nearby smaller lake. She looked around, but did not move for the ten minute period of time that I watched her. She seemed to look like she decided that she had made a very bad decision to cross the lake and was too scared to proceed any further. For all I know, she could still be out there.
Last edited by TaBASSco on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Awesome fish report and beautiful photos.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Man, those fish are absolutely beautiful. Zero flaws
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Right below the dam, the Green River is spectacular fishing. My only regret is not using heavier line. Lost some monsters. Still landed over 100 Rainbow/Browns on a 6 hour drift in a float tube.