Really a reel question
- Shawnster
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 244 times
- Been thanked: 271 times
Really a reel question
Hey guys, I had the bright idea to maintain all of my baitcasters to ring in the new season. I’ve never tinkered with the innards of my reels before but what could go wrong? Anyway, I failed miserably and I’m kinda f#%cked now.
Any recommendations on where I can take them for a quickish fix? Appreciate you.
Any recommendations on where I can take them for a quickish fix? Appreciate you.
- JWall
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 986
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
- Has thanked: 3402 times
- Been thanked: 1239 times
Re: Really a reel question
The quick part is the trick. Most tackle stores will want a few days to service a reel. Best bet is a friend in the know with a bit of time on his hands. Sorry to report thats not me. Maybe call around to shops and see turnaround times?
- Shawnster
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 244 times
- Been thanked: 271 times
Re: Really a reel question
Thanks John. I will start the calling around! I didn’t even know shops did this.
-
lazyfisherman
- Angler
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:55 pm
- Has thanked: 6 times
- Been thanked: 2 times
Re: Really a reel question
Some shops do it in house while others send to different vendors. Hard part is this is the busy season for saltwater gear. I've seen some places have a 1-2 month turnaround time.
It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.
alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.
alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
- Shawnster
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 244 times
- Been thanked: 271 times
Re: Really a reel question
Thanks Lazy. I had not heard of alantani before. Got lost in it for a while. I’m going to try my best with local repair shops.lazyfisherman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2026 1:50 pm Some shops do it in house while others send to different vendors. Hard part is this is the busy season for saltwater gear. I've seen some places have a 1-2 month turnaround time.
It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.
alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
-
KJ_ToadCult
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:45 pm
- Has thanked: 53 times
- Been thanked: 71 times
- Contact:
Re: Really a reel question
I think East County Bait and Tackle does this as well as Slugg Fishing in Poway.
- Gotfish?
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 809
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
- Has thanked: 1007 times
- Been thanked: 649 times
Re: Really a reel question
There are some tips at https://www.sdfish.org/viewtopic.php?p= ... air#p25370 . Lots of YouTube videos online too.
But if you have zero mechanical ability, you might be best to have them serviced.
What are the symptoms of your reels now? Hopefully, you did not end up with parts left over. Or you couldn't get it back together at all.
But if you have zero mechanical ability, you might be best to have them serviced.
What are the symptoms of your reels now? Hopefully, you did not end up with parts left over. Or you couldn't get it back together at all.
-
TommyP
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 126
- Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:10 am
- Location: Sorrento Mesa, CA
- Been thanked: 266 times
Re: Really a reel question
Go see Doug @ Dana Landing in Mission Bay....he is really good. But he is there in the am only, he can service anything.
TommyP
TommyP
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest