Really a reel question

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
Post Reply
User avatar
Shawnster
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Really a reel question

Post by Shawnster »

Hey guys, I had the bright idea to maintain all of my baitcasters to ring in the new season. I’ve never tinkered with the innards of my reels before but what could go wrong? Anyway, I failed miserably and I’m kinda f#%cked now.

Any recommendations on where I can take them for a quickish fix? Appreciate you.
User avatar
JWall
Extreme Angler
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 3402 times
Been thanked: 1239 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by JWall »

The quick part is the trick. Most tackle stores will want a few days to service a reel. Best bet is a friend in the know with a bit of time on his hands. Sorry to report thats not me. Maybe call around to shops and see turnaround times?
User avatar
Shawnster
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by Shawnster »

Thanks John. I will start the calling around! I didn’t even know shops did this.
lazyfisherman
Angler
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by lazyfisherman »

Some shops do it in house while others send to different vendors. Hard part is this is the busy season for saltwater gear. I've seen some places have a 1-2 month turnaround time.

It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.

alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
User avatar
Shawnster
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by Shawnster »

lazyfisherman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2026 1:50 pm Some shops do it in house while others send to different vendors. Hard part is this is the busy season for saltwater gear. I've seen some places have a 1-2 month turnaround time.

It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.

alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
Thanks Lazy. I had not heard of alantani before. Got lost in it for a while. I’m going to try my best with local repair shops.
KJ_ToadCult
Pro Angler
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:45 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 71 times
Contact:

Re: Really a reel question

Post by KJ_ToadCult »

I think East County Bait and Tackle does this as well as Slugg Fishing in Poway.
I share more of my fishing stuff on Instagram and YouTube
User avatar
Shawnster
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by Shawnster »

I’ll check out Slugg. East county has a 8 week backlog. Ugh
User avatar
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 649 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by Gotfish? »

There are some tips at https://www.sdfish.org/viewtopic.php?p= ... air#p25370 . Lots of YouTube videos online too.

But if you have zero mechanical ability, you might be best to have them serviced.

What are the symptoms of your reels now? Hopefully, you did not end up with parts left over. Or you couldn't get it back together at all.
TommyP
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:10 am
Location: Sorrento Mesa, CA
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by TommyP »

Go see Doug @ Dana Landing in Mission Bay....he is really good. But he is there in the am only, he can service anything.

TommyP
User avatar
Shawnster
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Really a reel question

Post by Shawnster »

Thanks guys. I’ll check out the resources you’ve recommended as well.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest