Solstice Spotties no pics

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Solstice Spotties no pics

Post by Carpkiller »

4.5 Fish Per Hour.
South Bay float tubing.
The wide open winter bite is not here yet.
Got a handful of foot long spotties.
And thirty typical SoBay rats.
No bonus species.
Calm conditions helped me detect a dozen really subtle bites. Used small tube baits, grubs and even got one on a tiny spoon.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
galen
Pro Angler

Re: Solstice Spotties no pics

Post by galen »

After watching Pourboy’s video, now seeing this report, I think I may have dawned on me one of the reasons why you float tube fellas consistently catch more fish than I do. I fish from a 16’ Saturn in the same areas and rarely eclipse 15 fish. I typically can’t fish the smaller fluke and grub presentations because I am always drifting too fast. Being much larger and higher off the water than a tube, I’m guessing under the same wind conditions I’m moving much faster. My favorite lures are crankbaits down there, no subtle bites on those! They stay in the zone even when I’m drifting quickly. Of course there are a million factors(not the least of which is your superior fish abilities) but drift speed probably is a big factor. Does this sound about right. Merry Christmas to all!
salt water guy
Angler

Post by salt water guy »

galen wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:49 am After watching Pourboy’s video, now seeing this report, I think I may have dawned on me one of the reasons why you float tube fellas consistently catch more fish than I do. I fish from a 16’ Saturn in the same areas and rarely eclipse 15 fish. I typically can’t fish the smaller fluke and grub presentations because I am always drifting too fast. Being much larger and higher off the water than a tube, I’m guessing under the same wind conditions I’m moving much faster. My favorite lures are crankbaits down there, no subtle bites on those! They stay in the zone even when I’m drifting quickly. Of course there are a million factors(not the least of which is your superior fish abilities) but drift speed probably is a big factor. Does this sound about right. Merry Christmas to all!
Have you tried using a drift sock? Can be helpful in slowing your drift down a bit when getting pushed by the wind...
galen
Pro Angler

Post by galen »

I have one and have used it before. It’s mainly laziness why I don’t use it more often. Maybe it’s time to dedicate a day to testing my hunch.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

galen wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:57 am I have one and have used it before. It’s mainly laziness why I don’t use it more often. Maybe it’s time to dedicate a day to testing my hunch.
I find managing the drift to be very important - if you can't keep your offering in the zone you will get fewer grabs.

An electric motor with "Spot Lock" or features for holding a course based on GPS can be really helpful but I don't think you can mount one to your Saturn.

The drift sock can be a game change at times, but sometimes laziness takes over and we don't deploy it.

A float tube is a bit easier to hold in position or counteract wind or current drive with leg power at the expense of longer range mobility.

We have been averaging about 8 plus fish per hour mostly fly fishing (some days better and some worse) fishing from a skiff, but the extra mobility permits searching out areas with willing fish when an area is unproductive. If I was tubing I'd be happy with carpkiller's success rate right now.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

I usually just try to keep a constant depth (usually in the 6-10' range) in the tube and let the tide take me out and back, I don't try to hold in one spot. I fan cast all around whatever depth seems to work best for that day. If you have a trolling motor and depth finder, you can do the same with a boat.

Best technique for spotties is usually to cast a soft plastic on a jig head out, let sit, reel 1/2 to 1 turn while feeling the line, pause and repeat. Many people fish soft plastics too fast. Either curly tail or paddle tail baits work.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Gotfish? wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:35 pm
Best technique for spotties is usually to cast a soft plastic on a jig head out, let sit, reel 1/2 to 1 turn while feeling the line, pause and repeat. Many people fish soft plastics too fast. Either curly tail or paddle tail baits work.
And watching the line on the pause too. I catch a lot of fish with both fly and conventional gear on the pause and drop when I don't feel anything but do see the line twitch slightly.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Tailingloop wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:17 pm
Gotfish? wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:35 pm
And watching the line on the pause too. I catch a lot of fish with both fly and conventional gear on the pause and drop when I don't feel anything but do see the line twitch slightly.
Watching the spool on deeper drops is the ticket too. I get hit on the fall a ton and sometimes a slight backlash in the spool from the bite is the only sign you have a taker.