Buddy success! 7/1

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dannicus
Extreme Angler
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:55 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 2222 times
Been thanked: 2480 times

Buddy success! 7/1

Post by Dannicus »

Randy has been my best friend for many years. He has spent most of his life at sea. Currently he works for the Scripps Institute of Oceanography on a science research vessel. As such, he's done a lot of ocean fishing, but a couple of years ago he told me he'd like to learn to bass fish. He said he would have tried it already, but he didn't even know where to start, and with all the baits and techniques he was a bit overwhelmed.

So I gifted him a Cumberland float tube for his birthday, and a couple of rods and reels. We set out to teach him a little about bass fishing. I taught him how to throw worms, jigs, crankbaits, top water, and about everything else I could think of. He's learned different rigs, and how to tie on leaders, and tackle etc...

Today at Murray, it paid off as he was able to land a topwater fish, and a few jig fish. It was great to see him have some success. His final total was four fish I believe.

I did okay today too, with a total of eight. Granted they were mostly clones and dinks, but that's okay because it was a beautiful day on the water, and a great time spent with a dear friend. I'm looking forward to our next adventure.
IMG_20260701_074950461_AE~2.jpg
IMG_20260618_095307166_HDR_AE.jpg
IMG_20260701_055932262_HDR_AE.jpg
Last edited by Dannicus on Fri Jul 03, 2026 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by Bendo »

Putting your buddies on Fish is amazing. You teach them a few things and they live in a different world. I have been mentoring a group of Jr. High Students. A few lessons and they are out menacing the local Golf Courses and Park Ponds. Making Sand Crabs and Surf Fishing. I get sent great Fish Pictures. They are not fiddling with their phones and staying in the Basements. A whole new Outdoor Life.
Attachments
IMG_2708.jpeg
IMG_2688.jpeg
IMG_4704.jpeg
IMG_7430.jpeg
IMG_7452.jpeg
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by VinnyBass »

Dannicus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2026 3:48 pm Randy has been my best friend for many years. He has spent most of his life at sea. Currently he works for the Scripps Institute of Oceanography on a science research vessel. As such, he's done a lot of ocean fishing, but a couple of years ago he told me he'd like to learn to bass fish. He said he would have tried it already, but he didn't even know where to start, and with all the baits and techniques he was a bit overwhelmed.

So I gifted him a Cumberland float tube for his birthday, and a couple of rods and reels. We set out to teach him a little about bass fishing. I taught him how to throw worms, jigs, crankbaits, top water, and about everything else I could think of. He's learned different rigs, and how to tie on liters and tackle etc...

Today at Murray, it paid off as he was able to land a topwater fish, and a few jig fish. It was great to see him have some success. His final total was four fish I believe.

I did okay today too, with a total of eight. Granted they were mostly clones and dinks, but that's okay because it was a beautiful day on the water, and a great time spent with a dear friend. I'm looking forward to our next adventure.
IMG_20260701_074950461_AE~2.jpgIMG_20260618_095307166_HDR_AE.jpgIMG_20260701_055932262_HDR_AE.jpg
Pretty dang cool....a very nice post Dan. :-)
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
Bigbertha
Angler
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2026 9:39 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 278 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by Bigbertha »

That’s what it’s all about right there! Those smiles are priceless!
vito1023
Extreme Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 462 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by vito1023 »

Great post, looks like you gifted him your cool hat.
User avatar
Dannicus
Extreme Angler
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:55 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 2222 times
Been thanked: 2480 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by Dannicus »

vito1023 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 7:20 am Great post, looks like you gifted him your cool hat.
Actually I did give him that hat too!
User avatar
Learning to fish
Angler
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2026 9:21 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Contact:

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by Learning to fish »

That’s awesome! He looks pretty stoked
User avatar
JWall
Extreme Angler
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 3402 times
Been thanked: 1239 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by JWall »

Dannicus wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2026 12:39 am
vito1023 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 7:20 am Great post, looks like you gifted him your cool hat.
Actually I did give him that hat too!
Was wondering! 😉
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: Buddy success! 7/1

Post by Bendo »

Buddy Success Bonus! Put my buddy Bob on his first Yellowtail….4th of July off Avalon.
Attachments
IMG_4853.jpeg
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests