South Mission Jetty

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Post Reply
Luc42
Pro Angler
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:19 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 16 times

South Mission Jetty

Post by Luc42 »

Fished South Mission Jetty the last few times I was able to get to the water. Unfortunately no luck, used sand crabs, dried lug worms and even fresh clams I stumbled upon cruising the beach. Any tips for fishing this particular structure. Maybe I’m not going out far enough but would love to figure that area out .
User avatar
pseudoMoGil
Pro Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2026 8:24 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 233 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: South Mission Jetty

Post by pseudoMoGil »

I’ve tried the jetty a few times, also never had luck there. I always see a ton of garibaldi on the channel side, so i also get afraid ill hook up one of them. would love to know how best to fish there as well!
- Zach
HK_Supermarket
Angler
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: South Mission Jetty

Post by HK_Supermarket »

which side of the jetty are you fishing? you wouldn't be fishing the river side and bay side the same way. On the river side sand crabs might work, but the people I see do well on that side are usually fishing with ghost shrimp. Look around at low tide and you'll see their burrows everywhere. That area has tons of them and that's what the fish are keying in on.
On the bay side market shrimp usually works best for me. Small chunks on small hooks (#6) and bounce if off the bottom. most of the fish are on smaller side but every once in a while, a tank will hit.

FYI pismos are protected species and have size limits. I wouldn't go around harvesting clams unless you know how to ID them and know your MPAs.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest