Lake Hodges Re-Opener

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Lake Hodges Re-Opener

Post by Pourboy »

[Lake Hodges 2023 Re-Opener @chrisbrandtthebeefshaman9590

Hey all so glad to be posting this! Got to the gate around 4:40 and was #10 in line. When the gate opened everyone in front of me went to the concession area and I went straight to the vending machine for my permit. Got down to the new “parking lot” formerly know as the launch ramp and was stoked to see the ease in which we can park and launch.

Was on the water and fishing by 5:45 and had already missed 2 on the spinner bait by 5:55 when I got my first fish. A healthy 3.3lb bass. Headed around the peninsula on the Del Dios side for a 2 hour fishing bonanza! Everyone was catching fish it seemed on just about everything they threw. I ended up getting a total of 12 and lost at least 10. Mostly on cranks for me. The big fish of the day demolished my Rapala DT16 and ended up weighing in at 5.9lbs but was a spawned out female that may have gone double digits if it was a month ago. At 24+ inches long it was a real treat.

I ended up going to the Narrows when the bite slowed down just to check it out. Got 1 on a Shad Rap there and a small one on a worm in the flats across from the peninsula.

All in all a great morning on the water with everyone having a great attitude and willing to share the limited space. It’s definitely a much smaller lake than before and the spots are few and far between other than the south side of the Del Dios arm.

I ended up leaving by 11 but can’t wait to go back. Check out the video for more details. Cheers and see you on the water!
Attachments
IMG_3450.jpeg
IMG_3449.jpeg
Pond_prowler_619
Angler

Re: Lake Hodges Re-Opener

Post by Pond_prowler_619 »

I enjoy watching your youtube videos, always catching those monsters..
Jesus saves 🙌
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Great video and catching! Hodges was my late 80’s, 90’s go-to lake and even though its a fraction of its former self, you brought back memories of the hot morning bites with cranks and blades parallel to the banks, and seemingly a better grade of fish. Oh and just when I too was wondering where the beer of the day was…😂
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Glad to bring back good memories. I had so many people ask me about the beer of the day it was crazy. I had to add that at the end. Cheers!
Fat Bass Turd
Angler

Post by Fat Bass Turd »

Thanks for the great report and video. Always enjoy them and thanks for posting. Good luck at Barrett.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

So we're parking on the launch ramp on the point? That would be great!
Hook1fred
Angler

Post by Hook1fred »

Love Hodges. One of the reaction bait lakes in SD as far as I’m concerned. Hundreds of square bill, crankbait, chatter bait and blade fish caught there over the years including my 2 biggest fish 10.3 and a 10.4 caught during a tourney. I hope to find my way there this weekend
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Hook1fred wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:21 pm Love Hodges. One of the reaction bait lakes in SD as far as I’m concerned. Hundreds of square bill, crankbait, chatter bait and blade fish caught there over the years including my 2 biggest fish 10.3 and a 10.4 caught during a tourney. I hope to find my way there this weekend
I've always felt that Hodges was the best crankbait lake in San Diego and had the biggest shad!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Mcfish wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:37 pm So we're parking on the launch ramp on the point? That would be great!
Yup! Super easy and plenty of close parking for now.
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

So funny, I kept waiting for the beer and just about gave up, then to my surprise.....
Thanks for sharing, looked like a great day. Love the May Gray and June Gloom on the lakes.
1Fishdude
Angler

Post by 1Fishdude »

Nice meeting you as you were leaving Chris. Great video as always. Good luck at Barrett and I hope my tips for Barrett work for you as they did for me. Tight lines friend.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks so much! I will try the tips for sure. Great to meet you as well. Here’s!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

KillinTime wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:43 pm So funny, I kept waiting for the beer and just about gave up, then to my surprise.....
Thanks for sharing, looked like a great day. Love the May Gray and June Gloom on the lakes.
Thanks for watching! Glad you stayed till the end. Cheers!
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

Are you affiliated with Brandt Beef? I’m just guessing since you go by Chris the Beef Shaman.
crawdadguy
Angler

Post by crawdadguy »

My buddy caught a nice one 8lb on bait on wed evening I "only" got a 6 lb on hernandez side
Stringbean
Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

Mark Brant,
Is the owner of brant beef of Brawley.
I hunting on his property , excellent meat.
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

MaxZmus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:22 am Are you affiliated with Brandt Beef? I’m just guessing since you go by Chris the Beef Shaman.
That is not the first time that has been asked, but no, I am not related. It's a nickname that I got in college. I'll have to do an origin story in an upcoming video. Cheers!
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Post by otaymichael »

sweet, good job.