7/24-Lake Miramar Dink-Fest

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

7/24-Lake Miramar Dink-Fest

Post by VinnyBass »

With intent to go to Murray for a morning session with my kayak, I found myself suddenly getting on 8 West and then heading up 15 to Lake Miramar.
There was a recent posting on the SD City Lakes website that the lake was going to be closed to boats, kayaks and float tubes after July 4 for a while, but I ran into Ruben(City Lakes) the other day at Murray and he told me that Miramar will be open to the above till Labor Day.
Anyway did not get to the lake till close to 7 and the water level is high. They added some more parking up top so launching and parking was easy.
I usually pack tackle a little more geared to where I am going to be fishing(clear water=light lines, certain baits, etc) but still felt like it was going to probably be fun as hardly anyone fishing this lake. I threw a number of various rigged worms in shallow and mostly in a little deeper water where I had 4-5 come unbuttoned deep in the weeds, but still was able to land 11 small bass. I was mostly experimenting with Texas rigged worms with a light tungsten weight, a Carolina rig via sinker stops and small tungsten weight, wacky rigged senkos and I had to toss a few dropshots. I did not throw the dropshot long, but It safe to say that if someone just threw drop-shots only(like @McFish), they could land a heck of a lot of bass up there. Overall the make-shift Carolina rig worked best for me. It was fun morning and being there brought back lots of good memories of fishing Miramar with my father when I was kid and through the years. Anyway..... if you don't like crowds and you want to catch some clones and some dinks....this is the lake for you. Tight lines :-)
Just a few pics.....

A little overkill....
71190134818__548CB7D6-6898-4CB9-82D4-E652A1872979.jpg
for my first bass...ha ha
IMG_6861.jpg
IMG_6877.PNG
IMG_6876.PNG
IMG_6878.PNG
Gotta love it....big meal for such a tiny bass
IMG_6879.PNG
Early release
Extreme Angler

Re: 7/24-Lake Miramar Dink-Fest

Post by Early release »

That looks like a lot of fun to me. I haven't tried Miramar yet, but I think you may have convinced me. It's close and sounds nice.

Also the Social D shirt is awesome.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

It’s actually a fun lake and the bass are pretty cooperative. Lots and lots of clones. With the bottom having lots of weeds/grass so the lighter the weight, the better you are if you use weights with plastics.
Free lining or wacky rigging a senko helps keep your worm above the weeds better. Of course if you drop shot it will also keep you worm a little above the grass. That’s why I used a makeshift Carolina rig to keep my worm kind of skimming the top of the grass.
I personally like to fish deeper water as many of bass I catch at Miramar over the years are in 20-35 feet of water. I also find thats a very good area as it is the outside edge of a lot of the thicker grass that grow high in the summertime. And there are always numbers of them close to shore in those tulles and near the tulles. It’s fun lake as a lot of the smaller fish actually fight pretty good. I try to set the hook pretty quickly… otherwise you most likely will gut hook the fish if you let them run too long.
I guess they’re hungry, due to the lack of fishing pressure up there. OK my novel is completed..ha ha
Tight lines to you. :-)
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

A couple respectable fish there Vinnybass!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:32 pm A couple respectable fish there Vinnybass!
Don't let the pics fool you....those clones were pretty small but seemed big compared to the dinks...ha ha
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Much bigger than the ones I caught at home!
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

Seems typical for Mira Mar. I used to go there a lot, years ago. Always a challenge to find subtle structure in the weeds in the clear water. Usually used 4 lb test, splitshot reapers and finesse worms in Green Weenie to get them to eat. But I digress.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

TaBASSco wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:59 am Seems typical for Mira Mar. I used to go there a lot, years ago. Always a challenge to find subtle structure in the weeds in the clear water. Usually used 4 lb test, splitshot reapers and finesse worms in Green Weenie to get them to eat. But I digress.
4lb Test @TaBASSco.......wow! I never got down to 4lb test but Miramar was the first lake that I actually went down to 6lb test(Stren back then I believe). That light line with a split shot up the line from a plastic worm was the rig that produced many a bass. I remember using stretched out Delong Otay Specials or anything purple. Lots of good memories and bet you pulled in a lot of bass with reapers, finesse worms.....and of course everyone who bass fished had some Green Weenie worms. I got mine from the Worm Store in El Cajon back then. Hope all is going well and tight lines :-)
PatFlynn
Angler

Post by PatFlynn »

I typically get bigger bass out of Miramar by power-shotting into the tullies. 15 pound test with a 3/4oz. weight, dropshot style with a 6" Roboworm (Margherita Mutilator). I've gotten some beautiful 2-4 pounders that come back dark because they just live in there eating things all day lol.

Flip into an opening in the tullies, let it sit for 5-6 seconds. Then reel back in, and move to the next spot. The fight out of the tullies is awesome too, and I've often lost many in the tullies, but it's worth the effort, in my opinion.

Hope this helps in case anyone wants to try something different!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Funny, as I usually love flippin the tulles(based on all my reports over the years with Tokyo rigs) but my flipping sticks have straight braid on them and I guess with the clear water at Miramar I figure the bass would be too smart and see the line. I usually go to Miramar with the intent of just being out there kind of relaxing while tossing worms in deeper water or along the tulles . I usually take rods with 6-8lb test as there are so many clones over the years I have caught, fell there is no need to bring real heavy line. I think I caught a 3 1/2lb bass on Fathers day(which looked huge..ha ha)about 4 years ago, but most bass have been a lot smaller.
I should re-spool one one of my flippin rods and take your advice and try that. Heck....there are tons of tulles there and no doubt there are bass deep in them. Thanks for motivating me to try that on my next trip up there one of these days.
Tight lines