I live in bird rock and I’ve been taking my 10yo daughter to fish at crystal pier and mission bay point, and she’s frustrated that we never catch anything we can eat. Just a lot of smelt and small bass. She wants dinner.
I’m wondering if I can catch edible keepers around the beach and bay, or if I should take her out to one of the lakes instead? Seems like it isn’t trout season, so I’m guessing catfish?
What do you guys recommend?
Where’s the best place to take my 10yo to catch dinner?
-
Switchcase
- Angler
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2025 4:29 pm
- Location: San Diego
-
Carpkiller
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
- Has thanked: 147 times
- Been thanked: 464 times
Re: Where’s the best place to take my 10yo to catch dinner?
https://www.santeelakes.com/fishing-2/ has info on stocked catfish. Poke around the website, I think they have night fishing a couple times a year.
If someone offered me $50 to put their kid on fish this week, I'd go here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/X545i41ymVaagdn17
I'd be there on Wednesday, with lines in the water as the sun rises....or fish there from 4 pm to sunset. Live or dead shrimp, 2 inch pieces of Gulp sandworms. #4 or #6 mosquito hooks or octopus hooks. Carolina rig is my go-to..but whatever you like. Dropper loop, dropshot....whatever.
The kid might get some yellowfin croaker, various perch, diamond turbot and maybe a rock wrasse or two..but I'd get the $50.
Bring a cooler with ice. Leaving fish on a stringer in 70 degree water will make 'em taste like an old shoe.
Cast from shore, or wade out as deep as you can, keeping the the storm drain outlet pipe on your left. Then cast straight out, or diagonally toward the Kraken. You can put the rod in a holder, but you'll miss some perch and wrasse bites if the rod's not in your hand. Best results usually happen holding the rod and just keeping the line tight...and reel slowly to move the bait a couple feet, every so often.
There are rocks scattered on the sand there, and spotties will sit by the rocks. Fun to catch even if they're not particularly tasty and they will be under legal size.
Took my nephew there a couple months back...the bite was slow, but he hit the jackpot (and his first saltwater fish) in the afternoon....
If someone offered me $50 to put their kid on fish this week, I'd go here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/X545i41ymVaagdn17
I'd be there on Wednesday, with lines in the water as the sun rises....or fish there from 4 pm to sunset. Live or dead shrimp, 2 inch pieces of Gulp sandworms. #4 or #6 mosquito hooks or octopus hooks. Carolina rig is my go-to..but whatever you like. Dropper loop, dropshot....whatever.
The kid might get some yellowfin croaker, various perch, diamond turbot and maybe a rock wrasse or two..but I'd get the $50.
Bring a cooler with ice. Leaving fish on a stringer in 70 degree water will make 'em taste like an old shoe.
Cast from shore, or wade out as deep as you can, keeping the the storm drain outlet pipe on your left. Then cast straight out, or diagonally toward the Kraken. You can put the rod in a holder, but you'll miss some perch and wrasse bites if the rod's not in your hand. Best results usually happen holding the rod and just keeping the line tight...and reel slowly to move the bait a couple feet, every so often.
There are rocks scattered on the sand there, and spotties will sit by the rocks. Fun to catch even if they're not particularly tasty and they will be under legal size.
Took my nephew there a couple months back...the bite was slow, but he hit the jackpot (and his first saltwater fish) in the afternoon....
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
- foulhook
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm
- Location: Elsinore
- Has thanked: 254 times
- Been thanked: 167 times
Re: Where’s the best place to take my 10yo to catch dinner?
Take her out in the ocean on a half day boat. The Dolphin out of Fisherman's Landing on Thursday mornings has kids fish free with an adult purchased ticket.
-
Switchcase
- Angler
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2025 4:29 pm
- Location: San Diego
Re: Where’s the best place to take my 10yo to catch dinner?
This is great advice thank you!Carpkiller wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:44 pm https://www.santeelakes.com/fishing-2/ has info on stocked catfish. Poke around the website, I think they have night fishing a couple times a year.
If someone offered me $50 to put their kid on fish this week, I'd go here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/X545i41ymVaagdn17
I'd be there on Wednesday, with lines in the water as the sun rises....or fish there from 4 pm to sunset. Live or dead shrimp, 2 inch pieces of Gulp sandworms. #4 or #6 mosquito hooks or octopus hooks. Carolina rig is my go-to..but whatever you like. Dropper loop, dropshot....whatever.
The kid might get some yellowfin croaker, various perch, diamond turbot and maybe a rock wrasse or two..but I'd get the $50.
Bring a cooler with ice. Leaving fish on a stringer in 70 degree water will make 'em taste like an old shoe.
Cast from shore, or wade out as deep as you can, keeping the the storm drain outlet pipe on your left. Then cast straight out, or diagonally toward the Kraken. You can put the rod in a holder, but you'll miss some perch and wrasse bites if the rod's not in your hand. Best results usually happen holding the rod and just keeping the line tight...and reel slowly to move the bait a couple feet, every so often.
There are rocks scattered on the sand there, and spotties will sit by the rocks. Fun to catch even if they're not particularly tasty and they will be under legal size.
Took my nephew there a couple months back...the bite was slow, but he hit the jackpot (and his first saltwater fish) in the afternoon....
260601 Stuart with hali.jpg
Why do you say Wednesday is the day? What conditions am I looking for at that location?
Also what is the Kraken?
-
Carpkiller
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
- Has thanked: 147 times
- Been thanked: 464 times
Re: Where’s the best place to take my 10yo to catch dinner?
1. Wednesday is the day with a good low tide at sunup. There is sometimes a sunup bite...if it's dead slow...stay 'til 10 or so and the bite should pick up a little.
2. The late afternoon/sunset time slot has good water movement happening.
3. The Kraken has "Kraken" painted on the side.
2. The late afternoon/sunset time slot has good water movement happening.
3. The Kraken has "Kraken" painted on the side.
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
-
Neuroshima
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 264
- Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:45 am
- Has thanked: 219 times
- Been thanked: 270 times
Re: Where’s the best place to take my 10yo to catch dinner?
Since you're in BR, I'd recommend to fish the reefs in La Jolla. Your daughter can explore/play in the tide pools if she gets bored, and the water is cleaner than the bay. Some people have different definitions on what's "dinner," but there are tons of opaleye, rock wrasses, and perch and they don't have a size limit. Calicos, sheepshead, and others are also possible, but bring a tape measure and check the regs. Throw back any rockfish because now they can only be taken from 300ft.
Shrimp on a dropper loop/spider hitch, small hook. Being old leftover food to chum the water. Make sure you're not in the SMRs, stay north of Palomar and south of LJ Cove.
Shrimp on a dropper loop/spider hitch, small hook. Being old leftover food to chum the water. Make sure you're not in the SMRs, stay north of Palomar and south of LJ Cove.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest