San V...summer coming!

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

San V...summer coming!

Post by Mcfish »

You can't tell by the cold, drizzly weather..but the fish told me today! I thought for some reason when I hit San V on Monday morning, that I could take up where I left off two Mondays ago..wrong, wrong, wrong! I started flipping senkos between the brush in 4'-6' of water and soon realized that the 2lb-4lb fish I got two weeks ago have been replaced with 8"-12" dwarfs. It was starting to feel very post spawn like and for some reason I kept hammering the brush for the next 5 hours with little to show for it! By noon, I came to my senses and moved offshore where I belong. My first cast in 30' of water rewarded me with a nice fish! I then broke off my next 2 fish in the trees in 25' of water. I tried to get them out as fast as I could but they had other ideas and dug in deep and fast! I wish I had those 2 fish! The next 2 hours I had a consistent bite dropshotting in 15'-30'. I ended up with 12 fish, not counting the first 5 hours of little guys! I learned my lesson...don't be so stubborn and try to force a pattern that's not happening! I've learned that lesson hundreds of times over 60 years of bass fishing..but obviously I'm just not smart!
Attachments
20230522_122714.jpg
20230522_101150.jpg
20230522_111058.jpg
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: San V...summer coming!

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Yep those 8-13” thin Senko fish in the trees were the pattern for me a couple weekends ago out there. Stark difference from Cap right now, there’s Bait boiling all over in open water there.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

It is always kind of crazy when a pattern works and then you find yourself sticking to it way too long when it doesn't work. You know it is hard not to stick to it as it has worked before and I have found me doing that many times and then switching to something else that works and thinking...geez..I wish I did that first. Trial and error and then success. Nice job figuring it out @mcfish. Always expect the unexpected and you seem to always find a way to figure it out. Of course as any bass fisherman, the next time you hit San V....you will no doubt still give what worked catching healthier bass a few weeks a go a shot...but my guess is you won't be doing it as long this time if it does not pan out as well. Can't wait to see your next fishing post to see if the pattern changed and what worked for you.... and hopefully the weather changed to nice and warm as your pics make me think it is February...ha ha
Tight lines always.

Also..I guess I should say thanks as I received the t-shirt you sent me......hmmmmm?
mcf.png
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:29 am It is always kind of crazy when a pattern works and then you find yourself sticking to it way too long when it doesn't work. You know it is hard not to stick to it as it has worked before and I have found me doing that many times and then switching to something else that works and thinking...geez..I wish I did that first. Trial and error and then success. Nice job figuring it out @mcfish. Always expect the unexpected and you seem to always find a way to figure it out. Of course as any bass fisherman, the next time you hit San V....you will no doubt still give what worked catching healthier bass a few weeks a go a shot...but my guess is you won't be doing it as long this time if it does not pan out as well. Can't wait to see your next fishing post to see if the pattern changed and what worked for you.... and hopefully the weather changed to nice and warm as your pics make me think it is February...ha ha
Tight lines always.

Also..I guess I should say thanks as I received the t-shirt you sent me......hmmmmm?
mcf.png
We'd love to have you on Mondays at San V...just Venmo me the special tourist fee we've worked out for you! Warning: there's trees and brush down to 50' deep that will eat any fish you hook...oh, and don't forget the delightful quaggas that will razor blade your line! You've led a truly pampered life at Murray with it's 6" grass and 3 rocks........! Come on up...the sun might even come out...by July...then it will be a 100 degrees...
Stringbean
Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

Great report mcfish,
You always figure them out, sometimes it just takes a minute.
Thanks, for sharing !!!!
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:23 am
VinnyBass wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:29 am It is always kind of crazy when a pattern works and then you find yourself sticking to it way too long when it doesn't work. You know it is hard not to stick to it as it has worked before and I have found me doing that many times and then switching to something else that works and thinking...geez..I wish I did that first. Trial and error and then success. Nice job figuring it out @mcfish. Always expect the unexpected and you seem to always find a way to figure it out. Of course as any bass fisherman, the next time you hit San V....you will no doubt still give what worked catching healthier bass a few weeks a go a shot...but my guess is you won't be doing it as long this time if it does not pan out as well. Can't wait to see your next fishing post to see if the pattern changed and what worked for you.... and hopefully the weather changed to nice and warm as your pics make me think it is February...ha ha
Tight lines always.

mcf.png
We'd love to have you on Mondays at San V...just Venmo me the special tourist fee we've worked out for you! Warning: there's trees and brush down to 50' deep that will eat any fish you hook...oh, and don't forget the delightful quaggas that will razor blade your line! You've led a truly pampered life at Murray with it's 6" grass and 3 rocks........! Come on up...the sun might even come out...by July...then it will be a 100 degrees...
Murray has a fourth rock and I am now not going to tell you where it is unless you try to lower the special tourist fee you worked out for me. I am on a budget since Tackle Warehouse somehow convinces me to buy more stuff....ha ha
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:40 pm
Mcfish wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:23 am
Tight lines always.

mcf.png
Murray has a fourth rock and I am now not going to tell you where it is unless you try to lower the special tourist fee you worked out for me. I am on a budget since Tackle Warehouse somehow convinces me to buy more stuff....ha ha
I've heard rumors of that 4th rock! I've also heard that you were seen carrying it out to the end of the kids dock! Sorry, I can't lower your tourist fee, that would enable you to spend more on your Tackle Warehouse addiction...I can't be a part of that!
RamonaAngler
Angler

Post by RamonaAngler »

Nice work out there McFish. Good to see you switched tactics and caught a nice dozen bass. I sent you a PM.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Hmmm..don't see a PM??
RamonaAngler
Angler

Post by RamonaAngler »

Mcfish wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:44 pm Hmmm..don't see a PM??
Weird...I show it in my Outbox In the Private Messages folder. Let me try again......
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

ImageDitto on the nicer fish of two weeks ago replaced by dinks on Sunday. Not all bad as the girl is learning to finesse fish small plastics and was actually out catching me. That is until I first stuffed her and the back of the boat farther in the brush. When that didn’t work, I drifted us over about 17-25ft where I caught up and passed her. Curiously it was then time to go 😂
Attachments
IMG_9567.jpeg
RamonaAngler
Angler

Post by RamonaAngler »

Mcfish wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:44 pm Hmmm..don't see a PM??
Well my PM says I'm going to San V tomorrow, Friday 5/26 because I think Monday being Memorial Day will be a bigger zoo
than on Friday.
What do you think?
Redeye
Angler

Post by Redeye »

Be out there this weekend....zoo or not.