A spring day on San V...not!

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

A spring day on San V...not!

Post by Mcfish »

I got to the lake at 6:15, under dark, cold, cloudy, drizzly skies..which pretty much remained that way for the next 6 hours!! The lake seems about a month behind with the unseasonably cold spring we're having! I ended the day with 14 fish, mostly small males which I hadn't planned on fishing for! None of my deeper water patterns were producing so I ended up probing the shallows and brush for fish. My normally productive 12'-20' foot depths were pretty much absent of fish. I found fish in 30', but they had no real interest in anything. There still is a large amount of fish out hanging in 40'-55' of water, probably with the bait. It still feels very much like a prespawn situation, with the small males starting to crash the shallows. Hopefully, the next heat wave gets the rest to move up! These cold waves really aren't doing it! The water temp was 64-66..it's time!
Attachments
20230417_082754.jpg
20230417_083355.jpg
20230417_120129.jpg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Re: A spring day on San V...not!

Post by VinnyBass »

Great to see you back on the waters of San V again and posting on this new site. It used to be McFish Mondays and I never had to worry about you dropping in to Murray and trying to take over some of my spots(ha, ha ...just kidding of course). I bet it was pretty cool out there on Monday, but
weather never seems that bad when you are catching bass. Anyway, thanks for the post and look forward to seeing many more of them.
Tight lines always
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

its been a struggle....
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

I was there on the 6th and the water was 58-59, so we have some improvement there. I agree we are about a month behind normal years. Males in the shallows was it for us too. I fished deeper too and only got a few. Did see a lot of suspended fish in the morning off secondary points, but they were not showing after the sun came up. Threw some suspended techniques at them with no love.

I love a heavy marine layer when bass fishing=)
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

I was out on Sunday and pretty much had the same fishing experience. I was happy to see the fish I did, since it's my third time at San V and the other two times I only caught trees. I'm looking forward to it warming up, it's a nice place to fish.
san V.jpg
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Post by risentidefishing »

Happy to see SDfish lives on! I was there this past Thursday in the wind and rain and the bite was great. My buddy and I had 35 fish on drop shots and jerkbaits in the 10-20ft range. Best quality was on the 6” Pro Green Pumpkin Roboworm with lots of 2-3lbers and a 6lb kicker. Think the weather had them going as my buddy was back 2 days later and only had half as many. Kimball arm and the Island were best. Tight lines guy!
Attachments
666B1757-080A-47B8-9AEC-6FC821E9DB3E.jpeg
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

A tough spring so far, no consistent weather for more than a day or two! I can't wait for everything to stabilize for awhile and get into some reliable patterns! Right now it seems like what day you're on the lake can make a big difference with all the temperature changes and water level fluctuations! Good job out there!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:02 pm Great to see you back on the waters of San V again and posting on this new site. It used to be McFish Mondays and I never had to worry about you dropping in to Murray and trying to take over some of my spots(ha, ha ...just kidding of course). I bet it was pretty cool out there on Monday, but
weather never seems that bad when you are catching bass. Anyway, thanks for the post and look forward to seeing many more of them.
Tight lines always
I can't wait for Murray to warm up, I'll be on your secret spots in no time..lol ! I'll stock up on Tokyo rigs, since that's what you taught those Murray bass to eat!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:04 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:02 pm Great to see you back on the waters of San V again and posting on this new site. It used to be McFish Mondays and I never had to worry about you dropping in to Murray and trying to take over some of my spots(ha, ha ...just kidding of course). I bet it was pretty cool out there on Monday, but
Tight lines always
I can't wait for Murray to warm up, I'll be on your secret spots in no time..lol ! I'll stock up on Tokyo rigs, since that's what you taught those Murray bass to eat!
Nothing to see down here and they don't eat them anymore....besides...I don't know how this happened.... but these signs are back up posted around the lake....ha ha
mc murray siogn.png
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Geeez, not again! I'll stay in the kids cove, nobody looks for me there!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:56 am Geeez, not again! I'll stay in the kids cove, nobody looks for me there!
Sounds good.....there should be some bass in there that love small Robo worms....:-)
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Early release wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:50 pm I was out on Sunday and pretty much had the same fishing experience. I was happy to see the fish I did, since it's my third time at San V and the other two times I only caught trees. I'm looking forward to it warming up, it's a nice place to fish. san V.jpg
The trees are always biting at San V!
Stringbean
Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

Nice report,
I've fished it the past two monday mornings ,same findings, one was very foggy.
I'm glad the (mchammer) is back.
Keep the reports coming.

Tight lines!!!
Put’em in the cooler!!!!