30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Post Reply
TATomlinson
Angler
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:16 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 84 times

30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Post by TATomlinson »

After just over 30 years of combined service with the Navy, I called it a career and traded morning commutes to MCAS Miramar for morning commutes to local fisheries. I had not fished Otay for at least two years and was immediately surprised by how the lake has changed. Like most local reservoirs, it was as low as advertised. Not El Cap low, but low. Over the past several months, I have went full Dannicus - fishing BFS reaction baits almost exclusively. Specifically, I have been on a Megabass X-80 Jr. pattern since early June. Why stop now? I caught 20 bass and 1 sporty bluegill this morning at Otay - most were on the x-80. The strange thing is that all but 2 were about 8” long. I’ve never seen anything like it. The two decent fish I caught were up against the bank in about a foot of water.
TATomlinson
Angler
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:16 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Post by TATomlinson »

Forgot to include the only fish pics
Attachments
IMG_9381.jpeg
IMG_9380.jpeg
IMG_9383.jpeg
User avatar
Surferjohn
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 7:08 am
Location: Clairemont
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Post by Surferjohn »

No foamers?
kirkboat
Pro Angler
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 5:15 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Post by kirkboat »

Did you launch float tube or Kayak? Fish from shore?
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Post by VinnyBass »

Surferjohn wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:03 amNo foamers?
"No foamers?

I love that term! :D
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
User avatar
DarkShadow
Extreme Angler
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 532 times

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Post by DarkShadow »

TATomlinson wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:56 pm The strange thing is that all but 2 were about 8” long. I’ve never seen anything like it.
But those 8" fish are so much fun on the ultralight setup tho, right?!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest