Downsizing for bites
-
lil_louzi
- Angler
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Tue May 26, 2026 11:00 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 27 times
Downsizing for bites
Been throwing smaller flies and tippet and has increased the counts at the lakes and bays. Figuring out the spotty indicator bite has been fun too.
-
vito1023
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 337
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 461 times
- Been thanked: 202 times
Re: Downsizing for bites
Thanks for your great post and pictures, looks like your flies are doing the trick.
Curious on picture 3 looks like you have a snap tied on, what type is it?
Thanks in advance
Curious on picture 3 looks like you have a snap tied on, what type is it?
Thanks in advance
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 582
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 526 times
Re: Downsizing for bites
Nice! I've been wanting to bust out the 9 weight at the local spot, but it's difficult to present the stuff I'm throwing on the fly.
If I were fishing horizontal in less than 10 feet of water, over natural cover, I can see it happening.
But I can only imagine making a cast near a piling and having a spottie eat up a hand tied Clouser and use my fly line, leader and tippet to decorate the piling.
Good going out there sizing down.
If I were fishing horizontal in less than 10 feet of water, over natural cover, I can see it happening.
But I can only imagine making a cast near a piling and having a spottie eat up a hand tied Clouser and use my fly line, leader and tippet to decorate the piling.
Good going out there sizing down.
-
lil_louzi
- Angler
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Tue May 26, 2026 11:00 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 27 times
Re: Downsizing for bites
Just a conventional snap swivel, I think size zero or 1. I only use them when I’m feelin extremely lazy, but I strongly prefer the non-slip loop knot.vito1023 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:13 am Thanks for your great post and pictures, looks like your flies are doing the trick.
Curious on picture 3 looks like you have a snap tied on, what type is it?
Thanks in advance
-
lil_louzi
- Angler
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Tue May 26, 2026 11:00 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 27 times
Re: Downsizing for bites
DarkShadow wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:56 am Nice! I've been wanting to bust out the 9 weight at the local spot, but it's difficult to present the stuff I'm throwing on the fly.
If I were fishing horizontal in less than 10 feet of water, over natural cover, I can see it happening.
But I can only imagine making a cast near a piling and having a spottie eat up a hand tied Clouser and use my fly line, leader and tippet to decorate the piling.
Good going out there sizing down.
Yeah when I’m doing a fly or die sesh, I try to fish less than 15ft depths. Usually bring a sink line (7ips) and a float for bobber fishin.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest