Mission Trails 6-16

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Post Reply
User avatar
kastmaster
Extreme Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 470 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Mission Trails 6-16

Post by kastmaster »

There's some fun urban bass fishing along the river for those willing to put up with

1) blackberry vines
2) poison oak
3) mosquitoes
4) trash
5) rattlesnakes
6) an occasional camp
7) small bass

Sounds great, heh? Tiny crank and jerkbaits thrown into shady banks with overhanging branches continue to get the job done and keep Sportman's Warehouse in business. 😆 There are also some large carp, which was the goal of this mission, but they weren't interested in my offerings. Enjoying the fantasy of this being a wild river somewhere much nicer.
Attachments
20260616_113953.jpg
20260616_114230(0).jpg
20260616_112458.jpg
20260616_113941.jpg
MaxZmus
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:20 pm
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by MaxZmus »

Small but healthy. Nice report.
sammy j
Angler
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2026 8:04 am
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by sammy j »

I think you might have left out ticks and maybe Mountain Lions
Later. I banked for a lot of years.
Sam J
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by Carpkiller »

Loves me some Mission Trails. Thanks for the report...brings back a lot of memories from that stretch of river...

I wish those WERE blackberries. They're wild roses...they like to mix in with the poison oak to make sure the itchy stuff gets under your skin.

And the #1 issue is with various random people - including "rangers," who will chase you out because you're disturbing the riparian habitat. Mind you, they can't actually cite you because you're not violating any laws, rules, or ordinances.

And....don't go too light on your line. I was chucking microgrubs on 2 lb test, targeting sunfish...and this unit hammered the lure.
Carp, common, micro grub.JPG
Yeah, a one-pound carp isn't giant.....but keeping him from stickups, then bouncing him up the four-foot boulder where I was standing was a challenge on 2 lb line.

Oh...and thanks for the free hardbaits....heh heh...
Last edited by Carpkiller on Wed Jun 17, 2026 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
User avatar
kastmaster
Extreme Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 470 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by kastmaster »

The car drive is the biggest danger omitted from the list. 😁
sammy j wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2026 1:15 pm I think you might have left out ticks and maybe Mountain Lions
Later. I banked for a lot of years.
Sam J
User avatar
kastmaster
Extreme Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 470 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by kastmaster »

Thanks for the carp memories! Definitely blackberries along the stretch I fish, two species apparently. I've propagated native CA roses for my own garden, another good plant. Thinking of getting my waders out to retrieve a couple of crankbaits in branches. 😆
Carpkiller wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2026 2:35 pm Loves me some Mission Trails. Thanks for the report...brings back a lot of memories from that stretch of river...

I wish those WERE blackberries. They're wild roses...they like to mix in with the poison oak to make sure the itchy stuff gets under your skin.

And the #1 issue is with various random people - including "rangers," who will chase you out because you're disturbing the riparian habitat. Mind you, they can't actually cite you because you're not violating any laws, rules, or ordinances.

And....don't go too light on your line. I was chucking microgrubs on 2 lb test, targeting sunfish...and this unit hammered the lure.

Carp, common, micro grub.JPG

Yeah, a one-pound carp isn't giant.....but keeping him from stickups, then bouncing him up the four-foot boulder where I was standing was a challenge on 2 lb line.

Oh...and thanks for the free hardbaits....heh heh...
User avatar
KillinTime
Extreme Angler
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:06 pm
Has thanked: 607 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by KillinTime »

Healthy looking fish
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by Carpkiller »

Dayumm. Learn something new every day...local blackberries. Gotta keep my eyes open next time I'm in there....
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2824 times
Been thanked: 3432 times

Re: Mission Trails 6-16

Post by VinnyBass »

Looks like a lot of fun/. I used to fish in a very small body of water which was part of the SD River and catch bluegill and small
bass and it was a blast. Too many homeless there now and does not feel as safe as years ago. Thanks for sharing and tight lines :-)
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests