Yellowtail Near marina Coral

This is your place to post about fishing Baja, Mainland Mexico and all points South. Got a trip to Cabo or Belize? Post about it here!
pescado paul
Angler

Yellowtail Near marina Coral

Post by pescado paul »

Next Wed. I will be trailering my Waverunner down to Ensenada and will fish the following day. I will launch at the Marina Coral and hope to target yellowtail. I have fished that area quite a bit on a kayak, but this will be my first time there on a PWC. I have heard Bajo San Miguel can be a pretty good spot for yellowtail. Any other areas I should check out that are within range of a PWC launched at the Marina Coral?

Thanks,

Paul
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Yellowtail Near marina Coral

Post by camobass »

Honestly the break wall going into Ensenada can be absolutely epic. I lived there for about 6 months and fished it almost every day in a skiff. Fishing plastics I caught big halibut, yellowtail, white sea bass, calicos, sand bass and spotties all in the same day at different depths. I would zig zag drift the break wall from the beginning right up to the beach. Starting about 50-75 yards away until I was super close to the rocks. If you have a rod holder, I’d dead stick a big lead head and fish a piece of metal or rapala etc sub surface.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
pescado paul
Angler

Post by pescado paul »

Are you referring to the breakwater at Punta Ensenada?

Thanks,

Paul
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Not sure the name but it’s the break water jetty, super long one that’s protecting the shipping port where they offload all the containers- First jetty as you drive into Ensenada.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I’ve also had some good yellow sessions off Estero beach. Actually catching them from shore on the iron, but the seiners came in when it was that hot and wiped it out. I’d imagine running out to the Islands on a pwc wouldn’t be that bad if you want the guarantee.
pescado paul
Angler

Post by pescado paul »

So I launched yesterday morning at the Marina Coral. The ramp there is pretty steep, but it flattens out near the bottom. The tide was pretty low, so I had to wait a while for it to rise before I could launch.

The inshore water around Ensenada is currently very off color. I worked a bird school about 3.5 miles NW of the marina for about and hour for one large sand bass. I then cruised out to Bajo San Miguel, but that area looked pretty dead. I headed back to the marina and caught a sand bass near the jetty.

Things I learned:

Check the tides if you are planning on launching at the Marina Coral. on very low tides you might consider launching the night before and keeping your vessel overnight in a slip.

The ramp is quite steep and slippery. As you face the water, there is a significant pothole near the base of the ramp on the right hand side. Stay on the left side of the ramp.

Security is very tight at the Hôtel and Marina Coral. Talk to marina security the night before, if possible. I was charged $15 dollars to launch. If you want to launch early, check in at the Marina office the day before to pay your fee and alert security of your plans.

I still have not caught a yellowtail on my PWC. Hope springs eternal.

Paul
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Dang, still an experience. There’s always La Jolla kelp. Besides the recent stuff on the news, I’ve been getting some local intel on crime down there and it’s no bueno. You’re brave! If you’re still that brave, you should look into Eréndira. They have a ramp at the fish camp and the yellow and sea bass fishing can be epic near the beach.