Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More Bass

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More Bass

Post by Pourboy »

Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More?

Hey all I hope you’re staying dry. Headed out to El Capitan this Sunday and decided I would fish crawdads. I used to love fishing crawdads and haven’t done it for a while because many of my old crawdad holes no longer hold them. I headed out onto El Cap with that in mind, after stopping at East County bait, and tackle and picking some up there, all they had were the red dads and I usually have always done better with the green ones. I figured I would head out anyway and see how it went. I headed to a rock pile that I always like and began fishing. After a while of no bites, I kind of got a little bit bored , and decided to throw out a jig at the same time and see which would catch more fish. I fished back-and-forth between both the live crawdads and the jigs and my astonishment the jigs way out fished the crawdad. I ended up getting 4 Bass on the jigs and zero bites on the live ones I ended up missing several other bites on the jig as well. I was using one of the ones I had picked up for the lake Murray Tube Mobb tournament that was green pumpkin with a little bit of purple and I used a Berkeley power bait fatty craw, green, pumpkin trailer. That seem to be the ticket for me. I talked to many other people that day, who were really struggling, and a few who said that all of their bites came up tight to shore on jigs.

My bites primarily came in about 20 feet of water pulled across rock piles, parallel to shore, I even had a few guys come in with their bass boats saying that the males were up bedding. Not sure if that is true or not still seems a little bit early to me and maybe a little bit too cold but who knows heading out to Hodges tomorrow for the opener for a few hours and will hopefully post what I find there.

Check out the video for more details on my crawdads versus jigs experiment, I guess the best thing about it was that I won either way! Cheers all see you on the water.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More Bass

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Pourboy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:32 pm Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More?

Hey all I hope you’re staying dry. Headed out to El Capitan this Sunday and decided I would fish crawdads. I used to love fishing crawdads and haven’t done it for a while because many of my old crawdad holes no longer hold them. I headed out onto El Cap with that in mind, after stopping at East County bait, and tackle and picking some up there, all they had were the red dads and I usually have always done better with the green ones. I figured I would head out anyway and see how it went. I headed to a rock pile that I always like and began fishing. After a while of no bites, I kind of got a little bit bored , and decided to throw out a jig at the same time and see which would catch more fish. I fished back-and-forth between both the live crawdads and the jigs and my astonishment the jigs way out fished the crawdad. I ended up getting 4 Bass on the jigs and zero bites on the live ones I ended up missing several other bites on the jig as well. I was using one of the ones I had picked up for the lake Murray Tube Mobb tournament that was green pumpkin with a little bit of purple and I used a Berkeley power bait fatty craw, green, pumpkin trailer. That seem to be the ticket for me. I talked to many other people that day, who were really struggling, and a few who said that all of their bites came up tight to shore on jigs.

My bites primarily came in about 20 feet of water pulled across rock piles, parallel to shore, I even had a few guys come in with their bass boats saying that the males were up bedding. Not sure if that is true or not still seems a little bit early to me and maybe a little bit too cold but who knows heading out to Hodges tomorrow for the opener for a few hours and will hopefully post what I find there.

Check out the video for more details on my crawdads versus jigs experiment, I guess the best thing about it was that I won either way! Cheers all see you on the water.
Enjoyed the video! Result definitely surprised me! Love dragging a jig at Cap!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

In my experience, the reds get bit way less than the greenies. They do get bit but not the preferred bait. I bet if you had non red and armored dads, you would have been bit. Did you try releasing the claws on the dads? That can help with getting them bit. I’ve done the experiment you did many of times and never had a jig out fish a dad. But that was from shore more times than not in pretty wide open bites.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I agree with Camobass as when I used to throw them years ago the green crawdads always out fished the red ones.
I will always remember catching bass after bass in Carol Cove at Lake Miramar in about 25 feet of water decades ago.
They were just nailing the green ones and then I hooked on a red one and could not get bit. I took it off after a number of casts and hooked a green one on and very quickly caught a bass. Not to say that I did not catch bass decades ago on red crawdads at Otay or El Cap for example....but just tended to stick mostly to the green ones after those finicky bass at Miramar always stuck in my head.
I would have lost money if I made a bet that a jig would actually out fish a live crawdad at El Cap.
Go figure...... :-)
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Absolutely for green over red dads. I’m keeping my eye out for both the green dads and a new spot to catch them again. My spots have gone bye bye. As for the claws, yes, I usually crunch them but leave them on if possible. I always figured that put some scent in the water.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Just hold on to the claw knuckle and they will release them, crunching them can kill them. But totally on the spots. Chance of a hypodermic needle in the hand or a mentally ill ambush. Alpine fisheries usually has a good selection of dads. The older I get, it’s hard to do a late night dad mission followed by an early morning bass mission.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

As always, great video and editing.

What's the difference between green and red crawdads? Species? Diet? Life-cycle?
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

camobass wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 am Just hold on to the claw knuckle and they will release them, crunching them can kill them. But totally on the spots. Chance of a hypodermic needle in the hand or a mentally ill ambush. Alpine fisheries usually has a good selection of dads. The older I get, it’s hard to do a late night dad mission followed by an early morning bass mission.
Thanks for the info! I’ll check that out for sure.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Neuroshima wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:09 pm As always, great video and editing.

What's the difference between green and red crawdads? Species? Diet? Life-cycle?
Thanks so much! As far as I know the greens are juvenile and the reds are mature. At least when catching them I almost never found small reds. Not sure on what species we have here. Looking into it.
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

Not surprised at your results. Fake worms seem to outfish real night crawlers, as my experience recalls.. Those have been my results. I have heard that live shiners will outfish fake minnow or crankbaits, but I haven't fished shiners more than once or twice, and I don't remember catching bass with them when I did.
I think that it has to do with being able to control the lures better and covering more water with them, as opposed to live baits. But then....there are "those guys" that get lots of fish, specializing in that live bait technique and presentation.
I'll stick to lures.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Bait fishing is an art. Lots to learn. I fish my ‘Dads exactly like Stitching a Plastic Worm, as I was taught by my Father, an excellent Live Bait Fisherman. Done correctly, you should get a Fish or two on each bait. Ideally my ‘Dads slide up the line when I am bringing in my Fish. No difference in Reds or Greens, you just got to put them in front of their mouths. The smaller baits will get more bites, but the average Fish size decreases. We have all hooked big Bass on small Crawdads too. Just the fact that it was in front of their mouths. You can’t just grab some ‘Dads and put a hook in them and sling them out and let them sit. Then give up. They have to cover water, get pulled out of the junk and walked along in a natural way. It takes practice and perseverance. Truthfully, they can get so good at extracting Bass they should be illegal. One hint: you can convert the red ones into blue ones by feeding them color enhancing aquarium Fish Food . Blue ones are great! Finally, they attract Catfish and giant Redears also. This triples your fin fun.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I agree but Jim Henderson never stitched his dads. He’d leave them sit, he said if they weren’t bit, and after time, they adjust to the hook and start doing their dad business on the bottom. He had a wall to prove it all be it was 70s and 80’s. I have caught most my best fish on greens and peanuts. Another deadly technique is pinning two on one hook. And if there is a lot of junk or lettuce, drop shot works well.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Pourboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 pm
Neuroshima wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:09 pm As always, great video and editing.

Thanks so much! As far as I know the greens are juvenile and the reds are mature. At least when catching them I almost never found small reds. Not sure on what species we have here. Looking into it.
Our CA dads are boring, you should see them west of here. Blue, zebra, orange all sorts of awesome colors. Az has some bright blueish turquoise. Missouri has some of the strangest varieties of colors I’ve ever scene. Even albinos
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

My Pops…
Attachments
IMG_0426.jpeg
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Some more Craw….Bass, Various So Cal Lakes. Yes I use a Spinning Rod. Works for me.
Attachments
IMGP0671.jpeg
IMGP0009_4.jpeg
IMGP0042.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg
photo_20200501113652_6553837_0.jpeg
Last edited by bendopolo 44+ on Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

I do have a bunch of dads left from the trip. I think I'll take them to Hodges on Sunday. I don't want them to go to waste. Maybe do a Part 2 Video?
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Bait fishing is an art form for sure! I think it's funny when people look down on others for it. It is not nearly as easy as it appears. Like fishing shiners and getting them to go where you want. For that I just use a Jedi mind control technique, but everyone has their own ways.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Jedi mind control gets me lots of Bites!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I know a few guys that fish dads on spinning gear. It makes total sense especially for casting. I even found an old glass rod to try and go Murphy style. Just never became my thing. I choose to deal with long loops of line between the guides being blown in the wind and getting stuck in the cockleburs…haha