Trailer repair

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Post Reply
Patrick
Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:16 am

Trailer repair

Post by Patrick »

I’m looking to replace my bunks on my trailer..anybody know if our local SD Lakes will allow me to launch my boat and then replace my bunks in the parking lot..thanks in advance
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Trailer repair

Post by VinnyBass »

Probably easier if you had a friend with you so he can fish otherwise you would be trying up the boat dock. For example
if you went with the boat to Murray, Otay, Jennings or San V or Miramar, I doubt would have any problems working on
the trailer in the parking lot if your boat is out on the lake, but I know at Murray for example, the water is low and not much
room to tie up a boat and leave it there with you work. Bring a buddy and have him fish after you launch it and I have seen
a guy or two in the lot working on trailers over the past few years. Just my 2 cents. :-)
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
Patrick
Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:16 am

Re: Trailer repair

Post by Patrick »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2026 10:58 pm Probably easier if you had a friend with you so he can fish otherwise you would be trying up the boat dock. For example
if you went with the boat to Murray, Otay, Jennings or San V or Miramar, I doubt would have any problems working on
the trailer in the parking lot if your boat is out on the lake, but I know at Murray for example, the water is low and not much
room to tie up a boat and leave it there with you work. Bring a buddy and have him fish after you launch it and I have seen
a guy or two in the lot working on trailers over the past few years. Just my 2 cents. :-)
San V was my initial thinking due to the amount of dock to tie up to and not take up much space…other lakes don’t have much dock space to work with…the bunks are already prepped and ready to install…wouldn’t take long at all…I just wasn’t sure if our lakes would allow us fisherman to do something like that..after all, they really don’t give a Rats A** about us anyway…if I did take a buddy, he’s replacing my bunks and i will be the one fishing haha…I knew I could count on you, Vinny, for answering…I need to get back to Murray soon, see ya out there !!
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Trailer repair

Post by VinnyBass »

Patrick wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2026 6:03 am
VinnyBass wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2026 10:58 pm Probably easier if you had a friend with you so he can fish otherwise you would be trying up the boat dock. For example
if you went with the boat to Murray, Otay, Jennings or San V or Miramar, I doubt would have any problems working on
the trailer in the parking lot if your boat is out on the lake, but I know at Murray for example, the water is low and not much
room to tie up a boat and leave it there with you work. Bring a buddy and have him fish after you launch it and I have seen
a guy or two in the lot working on trailers over the past few years. Just my 2 cents. :-)
San V was my initial thinking due to the amount of dock to tie up to and not take up much space…other lakes don’t have much dock space to work with…the bunks are already prepped and ready to install…wouldn’t take long at all…I just wasn’t sure if our lakes would allow us fisherman to do something like that..after all, they really don’t give a Rats A** about us anyway…if I did take a buddy, he’s replacing my bunks and i will be the one fishing haha…I knew I could count on you, Vinny, for answering…I need to get back to Murray soon, see ya out there !!
Yeah San V would be probably the best place. Maybe tie the boat on the far side of the dock and there is plenty of room there and
also in the parking lot to work on the trailer. Hope it all works out.
Tight lines :-)
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
monstahfish
Pro Angler
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 03, 2023 11:25 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Trailer repair

Post by monstahfish »

Any lake with a big dock wouldn't mind it. There's also oceanside harbor or any of the bays that have plenty of dock space.
User avatar
KillinTime
Extreme Angler
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:06 pm
Has thanked: 607 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: Trailer repair

Post by KillinTime »

I used a piece of wood and a jack to lift my boat off the trailer just far enough to swap the wood. You don't have to lift the whole boat all at once. I did this with both my Skeeter (for sale, please buy) and my Grady White which is around 7K lbs.
Good luck
Moose
Extreme Angler
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:53 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 627 times

Re: Trailer repair

Post by Moose »

I HIGHLY recommend Jared. He did mine while I was out fishing on El Cap and he did an amazing job! He will meet you at the lake and take care of the trailer while you fish.

I have no connection to him other than having used him to replace my bunks. Did an amazing job.
Attachments
IMG_6908.png
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Trailer repair

Post by VinnyBass »

Moose wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2026 5:15 pm I HIGHLY recommend Jared. He did mine while I was out fishing on El Cap and he did an amazing job! He will meet you at the lake and take care of the trailer while you fish.

I have no connection to him other than having used him to replace my bunks. Did an amazing job.
Thanks Moose. I actually always wondered how I would replace the bunks or fix any if that ever comes up.
Good to have a contact. :-)
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests