Using bay charts if you don't have a fishfinder...

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Using bay charts if you don't have a fishfinder...

Post by Carpkiller »

Zoom in and out of this image…most of bay is visible, with depths if you control/scroll wheel…

https://www.usharbors.com/harbor/califo ... go-ca/map/

I use it to identify spots that are close to where I can launch a float tube, and figure out how to fish them. If this chart shows 10 feet or less, there's gonna be grass, so when I'm getting ready the night before I'll tie on a T-rig or slider or dropshot rig that can get through the grass more easily.

Deeper than 10-12 feet, all the usual suspects.

Don't know when this map was made, but it's pretty accurate. You'd think the channels and manmade holes would fill in with silt from the movement of the tide, but really, not so much.

It can help when planning a tide ride type trip; there's less water movement in the shallows. Or if the wind is a bigger factor than water movement, you can figure out whether to turn the bow into the wind and kick slowly, and let it push you along structure where you're more likely to get bit....and where to get up on a shelf to avoid a stronger tidal pull.
Attachments
crown cove to channel.JPG
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
meisner
Angler

Re: Using bay charts if you don't have a fishfinder...

Post by meisner »

Thanks.

What's the Red Line? Is that your journey on the float tube?

Also are these depths at Zero Tide?

Thanks
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Re: Using bay charts if you don't have a fishfinder...

Post by Carpkiller »

Yes, those are low tide depths.

The red line is a trip I've taken a few times each way. On this particular route, the wind is a huge factor on the horizontal leg of the trip. (If you extend the vertical leg down off this page, you'll get into areas where it's sheltered from the wind. )

When I have done this trip starting below the bottom of the page the wind always picks up in the afternoon and blasts you and your tube to the southeast.

If you are fighting that wind, stay in shallower water (so you don't have to battle the tidal flow as much). If you line up the two channel markers (nice tall posts) that are circled in blue, and keep 'em line up, it will help you steer in a straight(ish) line as you kick or row your tube. And you can drop anchor or kick in place, cast to the north into the channel if that's your thing....or work the weeds for fish.

Blah blah blah...anyway, this chart's pretty good for when you're driving around and see a decent-looking launch spot...and are wondering whether there are channels or deeper holes nearby you can target.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....