Best. Day. Ever. (Aka Sept 17 report)

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Shawnster
Angler

Best. Day. Ever. (Aka Sept 17 report)

Post by Shawnster »

Sunday was the best day of bass fishing we’ve ever had. Maybe our best day of fishing period!

Me and my two boys (7 & 9) got on the water by 5:30am and fished for the next 13 hours. And we would have kept fishing if they let us! They air and water were cooler than in weeks past and the lake seemed alive from the moment we set out.

We started at Hauser, and close to shore based on advice posted in the last couple of days. We caught quite a few there with different approaches, but notably I couldn’t generate any interest with Senkos, Ned Rigs, Jerk Baits, or Zara Spooks. Could have been user error, but I kept switching things up until I found what worked. We didn’t witness the same level of frenzies / busters that we have in the past, but we survived it because all three of us were catching fish.

We headed over to Pine Cove at about noon expecting a mid afternoon slump, but we ended up catching more there than early morning Hauser! In all, we landed 28 fish including several over 3 lbs, one close to 4, and even landed two at the same time. These are record numbers (and record fun) for our newbie bass fishing crew.

We actually brought a new scale with us and kept a running tally this time. Here’s what we landed:

Dad

1. Bass 1lb 4oz - whopper plopper
2. Bass 1lb 6oz - whopper plopper
3. Bass 1lb 7oz - frog
4. Bass 1lb 15oz - soft crawfish
5. Bass 3lbs 15oz - Alabama rig w/shad
6. Bass 2lbs 10oz - crank bait
7. Bass 3lbs 7oz - Alabama rig w/shad
8. Bass 2lbs 6oz - Alabama rig w/shad
9. Bass 2lbs 7oz - Alabama rig w/shad
10. Bass 2lbs 4oz - white spinner with keitech
11. Bass 2lbs 9oz - Hula popper
12. Bass 2lbs 8oz - Alabama rig w/shad
13. Bass 1lb 6oz - whopper plopper
14. Bass 1lb 8oz - white spinner with keitech
15. Bass 3lb 1oz - whopper plopper
16. Bass 1lb 3oz - white spinner with keitech
17. Bass 2lb 5oz - crankbait

7 year old son

1. Bluegill - medium - Beetle spin
2. Bluegill - small - Beetle spin
3. Bluegill - large - Beetle spin
4. Bluegill - medium - Beetle spin
5. Bass 3lb 1oz - crank bait
6. Bass 1lb 4oz - crank bait

9 year old son

1. Crappie 1lb 10oz - Beetle spin
2. Crappie 1lb 8oz - Beetle spin
3. Bluegill - medium - Beetle spin
4. Bluegill - medium - Beetle spin
5. Bass 1lb 7oz - whopper plopper

Thanks again for all the advice provided in this forum. Also, thanks to the guy with the new fish finder inviting us over to the action — that was fun.
Attachments
IMG_1895.jpeg
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1887.jpeg
IMG_1883.jpeg
IMG_1898.jpeg
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Best. Day. Ever. (Aka Sept 17 report)

Post by foulhook »

Sounds like a wonderful day to spend with your kids. Way to go!!!
mrpatrick
Angler

Post by mrpatrick »

Thanks for the report Shawnster! Great job on recording your catches too - Looks like those big fish really like that Alabama rig. I'll have to try that out next time. Also, looks like it was a good move not bringing along that other Gooning guy that usually joins you... he must be scaring off all the fish! :XD:
Shawnster
Angler

Post by Shawnster »

mrpatrick wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:26 pm Thanks for the report Shawnster! Great job on recording your catches too - Looks like those big fish really like that Alabama rig. I'll have to try that out next time. Also, looks like it was a good move not bringing along that other Gooning guy that usually joins you... he must be scaring off all the fish! :XD:
We missed you out there buddy! I was really trying not to correlate you not being there with me catching more fish. Hmmm…
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Nice report and what a nice day for you and your boys.
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

Kudos for keeping it legit with the tally and fish weight. Your boys are hooked!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Best. Report. Ever. Lol. Big thanks for your detailed catch info. Headed out Sunday and then closing day and this really helps. Had an A-Rig already in my plan but am elevating a couple of options and rethinking others.
Shawnster
Angler

Post by Shawnster »

JWall wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:26 am Best. Report. Ever. Lol. Big thanks for your detailed catch info. Headed out Sunday and then closing day and this really helps. Had an A-Rig already in my plan but am elevating a couple of options and rethinking others.
Hey John, good to hear you’re getting out there again a couple times before the end of season! I thought last Sunday was it for us but then happened upon a nice fellow here who needed to sell his Saturday ticket so we’re headed back out for the last time tomorrow! Hoping it’s turned around a bit from what Earlyrelease and 619Bassin reported for Wednesday (but honestly any day on the water is a great day for us). Best of luck Sunday! I’ll try and post a quick report tomorrow evening.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Shawnster wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:51 pm
JWall wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:26 am Best. Report. Ever. Lol. Big thanks for your detailed catch info. Headed out Sunday and then closing day and this really helps. Had an A-Rig already in my plan but am elevating a couple of options and rethinking others.
Hey John, good to hear you’re getting out there again a couple times before the end of season! I thought last Sunday was it for us but then happened upon a nice fellow here who needed to sell his Saturday ticket so we’re headed back out for the last time tomorrow! Hoping it’s turned around a bit from what Earlyrelease and 619Bassin reported for Wednesday (but honestly any day on the water is a great day for us). Best of luck Sunday! I’ll try and post a quick report tomorrow evening.
Awesome, best of luck and I will check just in case you do 😀
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hi Shawnster,

Just saw a post that two kayakers caught 50 fish total on Wednesday on glide baits and A-rigs, so it was what Chuck and I were doing, most likely. There's definitely fish there. I'll be there tomorrow in a blue green old town kayak, if I see you and your boys or you see me, let's say hi.

ER
Johnnylh
Angler

Post by Johnnylh »

Thanks,
Best report ever. Priceless memories for you and your sons. I'm heading down on Wednesday. Hope to have half as good a day.