Legend 8/31-9/4

Discuss saltwater sportfishing from sport boats, everything from 1/2 day to long range trips with the local sportfishing fleet.
Redjim
Angler

Legend 8/31-9/4

Post by Redjim »

Howdy there, forgot to post this trip. 4 days of bluefin hunting, no biters during the daytime really, some dorado but once we left the point we stayed north between the banks and San Clemente. Sinker rigs and jigs were the key. I had been given an Eddie bomb by a friend of mine from Openwaters Foundation (check into it, reely cool charity that helps get kids on the water) last year. I finally got to use it. I went 2 for 4 with one that popped off five minutes after hooking up and one that was easily over 200. Hooked that sucker at 450 ft and it came unbuttoned 75 ft under the boat after 45 minutes. Turned out he took one of my assist hooks, didn't snap the Kevlar but took it from the ring on down! Headed to have a few more rigged up, incuding one with the thru wire. The hot ticket was what people were calling an aTOMic bomb, basically heavy machined aerospace quality jig with appropriate assist hooks and treble. I will be tinkering around with a few things related to these 1 pound bombs. I ended up with 2 bluefin with one at 90 and the other 120. Plenty of five star frozen stuff and this is the other 15 pounds or so. Tight lines and following seas!
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Legend 8/31-9/4

Post by foulhook »

Nice going on the bluefin, I went on a he Grande yesterday with no luck, except a small dorado. We fished for tuna but no luck. I wish we did have a wide open bite on them because 80 percent of boat would have been out gunned. It would have been interesting watching them hook up on tuna with large mouth bass equipment
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

You can land small yellowfin on the bass gear, deckhands love that.
Redjim
Angler

Post by Redjim »

For the last few years, if I'm on a full day or longer, I have a setup with me that's minimum 50-60 pounds. Rollin out tonite on thr Old Glory overnight with 2 40 pound setups, a 60 and an 80. Tight lines and following seas!
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

Good Luck on the Old Glory