A bit different today! Sept 2

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Shawnster
Angler

A bit different today! Sept 2

Post by Shawnster »

The lake seemed a bit different today! First, my 7 and 9 year old sons fished the pants off of me and my buddy. Largely because they realized fairly quickly that the Crappie and Blue Gill were big and biting, while the bass fishing was more slow going (for us) than in recent visits. They landed 18 between them, while we adults landed a lowly 5 bass (which, as new bass fisherman we were plenty happy with).

We got on the lake at 4:45 and motored most of the way to Hausers. We started fishing the left side (as you're pointing toward Hausers) and worked our way around following the shoreline in a U shape -- our plan was to complete the U in time to move out to the center in time to chase busters. Although the air temp was cooler than it has been it seemed quite humid with cloud cover. We landed one bass with my dad's 40 year old popper, and two on stickbait. We got some hits on shad jigs and whopper ploppers, but they just didn't seem as aggressive as usual and didn't hit to the point of getting hooked.

The lure of the day was a small "Johnson Beatle Spin" -- it was like magic for my boys. Basically a grub with an underspin. They were catching some Crappie the size of junior bass and large Blue Gill with lots of fight in them. Frankly I was spending more time unhooking their fish than getting my bass fishing in (my story and I'm sticking with it).

The busters didn't seem like the feeding frenzies I've experienced previously -- more like a couple of fish surfacing and by the time we trolled to them they were gone and busting where we just were. We had a good time but the wind was erratic and the busters seemed to slow fairly quickly so we decided to motor over to Pine Cove. We caught a few more there towards the back, all on pink stick bait (and of course the Beatle spin). I couldn't get any interest with crankbait, soft crayfish, wacky rigs, crazy crawlers, spinners, or spooks.

All-in-all, another fantastic day at Barrett. Oh, and we came across a tarantula on the drive in which was cool too.
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1776.jpg
IMG_5195.jpg
Last edited by Shawnster on Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
objetty
Angler

Re: A bit different today! Sept 2

Post by objetty »

Hey! Was a lot of fun hearing your kids tell us about their day when we were cleaning up after a fun day of fishing. Those two boys were so stoked and it takes me back to the times my dad took me fishing as a kid. I still feel like those two boys did after a good day of fishing (heck, even a bad day of fishing). Keep making those core memories!

We agree, the bass fishing was a bit off but we still caught some good quality fish even if, between the two of us, we maybe hit 20 total for the day. We also got two monster bluegill but no crappie on this trip.

Here are a couple picture worthy catches.

Disregard my buddy's photography skills...

objetty.jpeg

Yanking them from the trees like a pro

srfbert.jpeg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: A bit different today! Sept 2

Post by JWall »

Great jobs all and WOW those are some healthy crappie!! And if you don’t realize it yet, you have two boys that want to go every possible chance and will soon be catching more than ALL of us lol 👏