Barrett report September 2nd

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report September 2nd

Post by Early release »

Hi all,

Nice day at Barrett lake. Got there a little later in the morning around 0530, since lately the early bite hasn't been impressive. Got on the water by 0600 and went over past Wilson's creek, Picked up two on the popper, but after an hour of poking around that was all to be found there. I did pedal around and found what appears to be a ton of fish above what appears to be a thermocline about 25 feet down. I used a monster crankbait that is supposed to make it to 25ft deep. KVD 10XD for those who are curious. It's certainly a fun lure to cast, it goes a mile. The fish were not interested, so I have to refine that plan. I'm using mono, I might try again with Fluoro and see if it gets a little deeper.

Water temp was about 78 when I got there, and got up to 81 when I was leaving. Wind was kind of variable in direction. Mostly a west component, but really all over and up to 10kts. Did the usual trek to Hauser and found the busters. Same deal as the last couple weeks, you have to be close and you have to basically cast right on them. It was worth the effort, got 17 more busters and the quality today was high. Average fish was 2.5 pounds and the big one was over 3 pounds. Split decision on the jerkbait versus the stickbait. 9 jerkbait fish, almost all on the landing, 8 stickbait fish, almost all on the second or third wiggle. It either got hit right away or it didn't get hit.

Tight lines all.
Quality was there today.
Quality was there today.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Barrett report September 2nd

Post by camobass »

I fished the 10xd out of my kayak a lot. It’s a good one to long line. Cast as far as you can, peddle away while “free” spooling then kick it it gear, use the kayak to drive it down and then crank it slow. I’ve slayed at otay in the middle of Harvey’s before. That’s a tough bait for the kayak, you’ll actually tow yourself towards the crank bait not allowing it to get down if you’re trying to set still and crank. I didn’t have reverse. If I did, I’d be peddling backwards while retrieving.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Early release
Extreme Angler

Re: Barrett report September 2nd

Post by Early release »

camobass wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:27 pm I fished the 10xd out of my kayak a lot. It’s a good one to long line. Cast as far as you can, peddle away while “free” spooling then kick it it gear, use the kayak to drive it down and then crank it slow. I’ve slayed at otay in the middle of Harvey’s before. That’s a tough bait for the kayak, you’ll actually tow yourself towards the crank bait not allowing it to get down if you’re trying to set still and crank. I didn’t have reverse. If I did, I’d be peddling backwards while retrieving.
That's a good idea to back pedal, I was casting 90 degrees to the side and then letting it pull a little bit. It definitely turns you toward the bait. I'll try it again next trip and post. I'm thinking when that lure hits something, it's going to be worth it. :)