Otay before Hillary

Bluegill, crappie, redear sunfish and other panfish.
Str8t Slabaronies
Angler

Otay before Hillary

Post by Str8t Slabaronies »

The kids have been ready for another trip since we did so well @ Hodges a couple of months ago. I've been hearing the bluegill bite was on @ Otay so I thought we would give it another try. I say another try as I've taken the kids here a few times and we never seem to have a good day. My son labeled it a cemetery once because it was so dead before. But I know it's all about timing.

We went yesterday. Was informed all rentals have to been in by 1pm. Everybody was playing it safe.
IMG_20230819_082005903.jpg
I went with the 10 person pontoon. Dave's boat got me spoiled. I didn't feel like messing with a flat bottom. Guess I wanted some comfort. We just fished out the back.
IMG_20230819_083038285.jpg
The only thing is that means no troll motor and no fish finder. I can't hook them up to this party boat. Oh well... I trolled with the motor it came with and fished upwind when possible. I went to my favorite area for the gills and it all worked out here for once. My son again was on fire. He is really getting good at it. I told him how much line to let out and that was it. Here's a nice one he got right off the bat.
IMG_20230819_084609764.jpg
I brought redworms and wax worms if we needed but we never stopped trolling jigs. Needless to say the kids tore them a new one. I hardly fished at all. Just drove the boat and let them have at it. Ended the day with 20 kept because that's all I'm going to clean. We tossed back about the same amount and broke off a couple of near 2 pounders at the boat.

My son with the end of the day Victory scream!
IMG_20230819_105502273.jpg
Here's a sink shot. No monsters but some solid gills for sure.
IMG_20230819_120908722.jpg
Another nice day out with the kids! I'm on a roll!
Last edited by Str8t Slabaronies on Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Re: Otay before Hillary

Post by Rattus »

Sounds like another pre-storm success. Great job, that will be some good eating!
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Great family day before the storm.

Love those smiles!
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Nice work on the gills Roy, the kids are having a blast this year!
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos