Is a trolling motor necessary?

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
chairfish
Angler

Is a trolling motor necessary?

Post by chairfish »

Hi all,

I’ve got a boat reservation for Saturday and won’t have my trolling motor. Is using a trolling motor a game changer? I realize it’s going to be difficult throwing shallow top water stuff. I know that East County Bait and Tackle rents trolling motors, so I guess my question is…would it be worth it to rent a trolling motor and not get to Barrett until around 530, on water by 6, or not using a trolling motor and hitting the water by 430?

Also, I live far enough away that I wouldn’t be able to pick up the rental trolling motor until Saturday morning.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Is a trolling motor necessary?

Post by camobass »

Definitely can be a game changer, especially with the wind but not having one isn’t a deal breaker. You can also tie off to trees, anchor or drift.
The thing is with Barrett, you can find a good spot and consistently pick fish off on it without moving. A lot of people like to fish down a bank but it isn’t necessary.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

I agree with Camobass to a certain degree. Is it a game changer? Possibly in the right situation, but it is still definitely nice to have for sure. If you don't it's not necessarily a deal breaker like like he mentioned as well. We always bring one and sometimes we use it quite a bit, other times we only use the outboard.
Sosvp1
Angler

Post by Sosvp1 »

Right now it's a game changer.... With the wolf pack main motor will push them back down.
chairfish
Angler

Post by chairfish »

Thanks for the feedback camobass, rude baits, and sosvp1! Unless we can magically get a trolling motor before we line up to get in we are just going to go without one and pray that it does not get too windy. Being that we can only fish about half day (gotta get back for wife’s bday dinner), I would rather just maximize my fishing time anyway.
Tcfish
Angler

Post by Tcfish »

After going to all the trouble of getting a reservation and then driving out at o-dark thirty, why wouldn’t you make the effort and get a trolling motor. Mandatory in my book. So are boat cushions and and extra anchor for setting up in the wind.
It makes the fishing experience WAY BETTER in my opinion, even if you don’t leave the dock till 7 AM.
I’ve had some of my best fishing at 2 pm.
Good luck, we will see you out there.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

chairfish wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:32 pm Thanks for the feedback camobass, rude baits, and sosvp1! Unless we can magically get a trolling motor before we line up to get in we are just going to go without one and pray that it does not get too windy. Being that we can only fish about half day (gotta get back for wife’s bday dinner), I would rather just maximize my fishing time anyway.
Back when I had an older hobie pro angler without reverse, the wind sucked sometimes to the point it was a pain to fish. I would pull up to a good point, beach and get out. Had some great shore fishing in remote parts of the lake so that’s another option. Find some good decomposed granite points, pull up, get out and fish! Sometimes the presentation coming up a hill vs down is better anyways.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Other said it well. Not necessary, but definitely comes in handy.

If the wind is coming in from 1 direction, you can find shorelines where you can naturally drift and fish, and do milk runs.

But, firing up that main motor may push feeding fish down and you may not be able to capitalize on that bite. In that case, try to find a tree to tie off and hope the fish come within the casting zone.