Fishing the bays

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Dfishin
Angler

Fishing the bays

Post by Dfishin »

Has anyone had issues with seals? I use to tube many years ago, but there were not as many seals then.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing the bays

Post by Rattus »

I haven't, but I don't tube much in the bays, mainly use kayak. A seal scared the crap out of me early in the morning once by surfacing right next to me, lol...
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

No but I usually don't fish where there are lots of seals either. I have had spotties stolen by ospreys though; startles the hell out of me.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

I’ve had them bark at me from three feet away and roll into the water when I’m fishing the Docks at night. Big old Knotheads of 500 pounds or more. It is dark, they are dark and sleeping on the Dock or on a Boats Swim Step, you are looking for the next unobstructed Piling and all hell breaks loose. Raises your Heart Rate! In Dana point, where I tow a bait Basket I’ve watched Harbor Seals hover a few feet below the Basket, Giant Eyes looking up at my Sardines. Kinda spooky but they have never rushed the Bait Basket or tried to dump the Bait out. All in all I think we are lucky that Sea Lions, Seals, and Dolphins aren’t more like Wolves and actively hunt us.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Never had any problems with them.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Rattus wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:01 am I haven't, but I don't tube much in the bays, mainly use kayak. A seal scared the crap out of me early in the morning once by surfacing right next to me, lol...
I also had a harbor seal pop up right next to me and freak me out til I realized what it was!