Reel pairing for new rod

Discuss rods, reels, lures, terminal tackle, line and fishing related accessories or apparel.
Aloha_Cowboy
Angler

Reel pairing for new rod

Post by Aloha_Cowboy »

Hoping this is the right place for this post, i used to lurk the old forum but never joined. Anyways, a family friend gave me a 10' Okuma rod they never really used, I'm not sure if there was ever a reel on it. It's a medium light fast action, 1-2-2oz lure rating. I was thinking it could be a good surf perch/halibut rod. I was thinking a 4k size reel would be a good pairing, but not really sure, I've never had a rod this big before. A neighbor said they'd sell me a 5500 Okuma reel, thing is built like a tank but is also pretty heavy. Any thoughts on a good reel pairing to complete this rig?
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Re: Reel pairing for new rod

Post by Carpkiller »

Is it a Celilo rod? Or what's the model letters/numbers?
The Celilo SST series are pretty common, and very good surf perching sticks. A 2000-3000 sized reel would be appropriate.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Aloha_Cowboy
Angler

Post by Aloha_Cowboy »

It's a Rockaway, RA-S-1002ML
Aloha_Cowboy
Angler

Post by Aloha_Cowboy »

Carpkiller wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:17 pm Is it a Celilo rod? Or what's the model letters/numbers?
The Celilo SST series are pretty common, and very good surf perching sticks. A 2000-3000 sized reel would be appropriate.
I think I figured out the right way to reply, been on mobile all day. It's a Rockaway RA-S-1002ML, 8-17lb line, 1/2oz-2oz lure
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

You want a good conventional reel to really get the most of that rod. I like the Sealine-X in the smaller sizes (targeting larger fish with more line), but you could get away with something pluton sized and still be OK for smaller stuff.

In the ideal range you want a 7000 series Abu.

I stopped buying reels a few years back, so there may be newer stuff up to the task.
ColdEye
Angler

Post by ColdEye »

Penn 710 or 720 if you want something smaller.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

OOlicon wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:14 pm You want a good conventional reel to really get the most of that rod. I like the Sealine-X in the smaller sizes (targeting larger fish with more line), but you could get away with something pluton sized and still be OK for smaller stuff.

In the ideal range you want a 7000 series Abu.

I stopped buying reels a few years back, so there may be newer stuff up to the task.
Isn't that a spinning rod and not a conventional?
I use a lighter rod and reel mostly, but have a heavier set up, close to that range, for high surf days or strong currant... I use an old 4000 size Shimano Stradic ci4 on it... I was thinking of buying a new Shimano Vanford 5000, that is the same size and weight as the Stradic 4K (Actually, lighter and smaller)
Butch
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

Sorry, I didn't see a mention of guide type in the OP.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

OOlicon wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:37 pm Sorry, I didn't see a mention of guide type in the OP.
You are right, he didn't, but in his second post, he gave the model #...
Butch