Paddleboard Tarpon Fishing: Report

Dedicated talk about fishing from and rigging kayaks and standup paddle boards.
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Paddleboard Tarpon Fishing: Report

Post by mcquade outdoors »

Might as well get a paddleboard report in here even if its not from San Diego!

Ive spent the last few weeks targeting backwater tarpon and its been a blast and a pain in the butt. I started fishing small baits and flukes and the bites were slow to come, i switched to the No Live Bait Needed mini mullet and things changed! All total ive hooked 16 fish with over 40-50 bites and landed 0 :rofl:
The back water/creek/river bite has been good as summer heats up on fish in the 5-50lb range but they have been on point when shaking the bait loose. Getting to the spots is by 1/2 the adventure, generally losing a full blood donors share to the bugs, lots of spiders to the face and just bushwacking to the extreme.
Setup
IRod Kaimana Coastal Inshore spinning rod- 7'6" Heavy
Diawa Fuego 3000
20lb braid, 30 or 40lb top shot

bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Paddleboard Tarpon Fishing: Report

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different result.I didn’t start landing Tarpon until I started using a circle hook thru the eye of my jighead. Somehow my landing percentage soared. Who knew?
KamWalsh
Angler

Re: Paddleboard Tarpon Fishing: Report

Post by KamWalsh »

A circle hook with a split ring attaching it to the eye of the jighead? Interesting, that tarpon fishing is still a bucket list for me (as for most other anglers) but it seems so frustrating to expect to lose so many fish that even hooking one "counts" more than hooking and losing just about any other species.