Derp City...population: me

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Derp City...population: me

Post by Carpkiller »

I love it when a plan comes together.

This one didn't. Fun, just not epic.

Tried to combine a long tide ride with trying out some different lures. Kicked back and forth a lot, to cast said lures into specific spots. So at the end of the day....I had no gas left to properly get after the spotties area near the takeout.

And, to get the cons outta the way, some knobber in a powerboat drove right up my line and wrapped it up in his prop. Felt like he was 20 feet away when he throttled down and turned to avoid me...it was more like 40 feet. And as we both admired the bend he put in my rod before the line broke, he kept glancing over at me like it was my fault. No "Oops, my bad..."

Enough with the whining. Lots of pluses.

Got on the water early.
230709 predawn spotty.jpg
Found a spotty bite and got three in four casts. But I wasn't here for them. Still had to kick over to the where the daylong drift would start in a few hours when the tide came up.

Played with different lures, kicked back and forth...got no love on the experimental lures, but when I grabbed the rod with the tube bait on it, got into some real glamor species.
230709 tiny halibut.jpg
230709 lizardfish.jpg
Had a nice close encounter with a dolphin, probably ten feet long. Thought a seal had snuck up behind me, turned around and Flipper said Hey. By the time I got the camera out it was some distance off...and with the float tube bobbing around the video was not great.

And I tested out a ginormous folding landing net that I bought a while back.
Along the tide ride, the structure spots that shoulda been full of spotties...weren't. Still picked off a few here and there. No giants, but much better than the wintertime south bay dinks. Ended the day with 15 spotties.
20220625_133611.jpg
And the 1.7 mile walk back to the truck worked out the kinks. Legs are tired, but not horribly sore like they usually are the day after a tube ride.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Fishtricks
Pro Angler

Re: Derp City...population: me

Post by Fishtricks »

he ain't heavy…
he’s my bellyboat…

its not a real float tube trip if there isn't a gnarly hike involved
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.