Front or back trolling motor for Barrett?

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Front or back trolling motor for Barrett?

Post by Everydog »

Think about a trolling motor for my Old Towne. PDL. pedal type kayak
I've pretty much only been fishing the main lake and getting blown around by the wind trying to hit spots is a challenge every time.
So Spot-Lock seems like a plus. But I have seen as you get further back in the arms running into the submerged brush and other aquatic stuff and in some places, rocks will be a potential thing.
How does this and maybe other issues impact which trolling motor is better? I lean towards having spot lock over all other things at this point.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Front or back trolling motor for Barrett?

Post by camobass »

I never used a troll motor, if I get pushed around by wind too much, I’d beach and fish a point from shore. I also installed an anchor trolley and that made a huge difference for sitting “still” on a good spot. One other thing, you could make a spud that stores parallel on the side of the kayak and goes through a scupper hole for a shallow water anchor.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Seaway
Angler

Post by Seaway »

mine will only work on the stern, so I drive around backwards all the time, I swapped the handle around to make that much easier..
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

camobass wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:57 pm I never used a troll motor, if I get pushed around by wind too much, I’d beach and fish a point from shore. I also installed an anchor trolley and that made a huge difference for sitting “still” on a good spot. One other thing, you could make a spud that stores parallel on the side of the kayak and goes through a scupper hole for a shallow water anchor.
good ideas I like the idea of the spike for an anchor. Maybe make a small post-driver deal to go with it! A ground rod would be about perfect. I haven't found confidence spots at Barrett for structure fish, like the fish from shore idea. Would like to.
Link888
Angler

Post by Link888 »

I just put a Motorguide Xi3 on the front of my Sportsman PDL 120 and highly recommend it. I used the OneObjective front mount to install. It is amazing and a game changer for sure. Spot lock is incredible and well worth the extra cost. I have no issues with drifting even in the worst windy conditions. Of course one drawback is when in spotlock you end up eventually facing the wind or current and cant always fish the exact angle you prefer, but its pretty easy to work around it and isn't really an issue for me. Not only that, when traveling against the wind you don't feel the resistance like when you are peddling. The motor just mows through the water which is awesome. I haven't had any issues with the logs and trees in the back tullys like I thought I would. Of course you have to navigate around the terrain just like you would with the peddle drive but its pretty amazing. I haven't gotten weeds stuck on the trolling motor at all, like I do with peddle drive for some reason. I think it just cuts through it.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Everydog wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:49 pm
camobass wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:57 pm I never used a troll motor, if I get pushed around by wind too much, I’d beach and fish a point from shore. I also installed an anchor trolley and that made a huge difference for sitting “still” on a good spot. One other thing, you could make a spud that stores parallel on the side of the kayak and goes through a scupper hole for a shallow water anchor.
good ideas I like the idea of the spike for an anchor. Maybe make a small post-driver deal to go with it! A ground rod would be about perfect. I haven't found confidence spots at Barrett for structure fish, like the fish from shore idea. Would like to.
I would use caution with the spud in the wind or heavy boat traffic, if using a scupper make sure the top of the spud is above the kayak a foot or so. If a swell lifted you off the spud, it could pierce the hull coming back down.

There was an old catfishing show called mudbums that used these t handle spikes. https://galemarine.com/aluminum-spud-poles-push-poles/
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Everydog
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Everydog »

good point! Thanks.