Page 1 of 1

Downsizing for bites

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:41 pm
by lil_louzi
Been throwing smaller flies and tippet and has increased the counts at the lakes and bays. Figuring out the spotty indicator bite has been fun too.

Re: Downsizing for bites

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:13 am
by vito1023
Thanks for your great post and pictures, looks like your flies are doing the trick.
Curious on picture 3 looks like you have a snap tied on, what type is it?
Thanks in advance

Re: Downsizing for bites

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:56 am
by DarkShadow
Nice! I've been wanting to bust out the 9 weight at the local spot, but it's difficult to present the stuff I'm throwing on the fly.

If I were fishing horizontal in less than 10 feet of water, over natural cover, I can see it happening.

But I can only imagine making a cast near a piling and having a spottie eat up a hand tied Clouser and use my fly line, leader and tippet to decorate the piling.

Good going out there sizing down.

Re: Downsizing for bites

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:51 am
by lil_louzi
vito1023 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:13 am Thanks for your great post and pictures, looks like your flies are doing the trick.
Curious on picture 3 looks like you have a snap tied on, what type is it?
Thanks in advance
Just a conventional snap swivel, I think size zero or 1. I only use them when I’m feelin extremely lazy, but I strongly prefer the non-slip loop knot.

Re: Downsizing for bites

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:54 am
by lil_louzi
DarkShadow wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:56 am Nice! I've been wanting to bust out the 9 weight at the local spot, but it's difficult to present the stuff I'm throwing on the fly.

If I were fishing horizontal in less than 10 feet of water, over natural cover, I can see it happening.

But I can only imagine making a cast near a piling and having a spottie eat up a hand tied Clouser and use my fly line, leader and tippet to decorate the piling.

Good going out there sizing down.

Yeah when I’m doing a fly or die sesh, I try to fish less than 15ft depths. Usually bring a sink line (7ips) and a float for bobber fishin.