Page 1 of 1

30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:56 pm
by TATomlinson
After just over 30 years of combined service with the Navy, I called it a career and traded morning commutes to MCAS Miramar for morning commutes to local fisheries. I had not fished Otay for at least two years and was immediately surprised by how the lake has changed. Like most local reservoirs, it was as low as advertised. Not El Cap low, but low. Over the past several months, I have went full Dannicus - fishing BFS reaction baits almost exclusively. Specifically, I have been on a Megabass X-80 Jr. pattern since early June. Why stop now? I caught 20 bass and 1 sporty bluegill this morning at Otay - most were on the x-80. The strange thing is that all but 2 were about 8” long. I’ve never seen anything like it. The two decent fish I caught were up against the bank in about a foot of water.

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:51 pm
by TATomlinson
Forgot to include the only fish pics

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:03 am
by Surferjohn
No foamers?

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:38 am
by kirkboat
Did you launch float tube or Kayak? Fish from shore?

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:19 am
by VinnyBass
Surferjohn wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:03 amNo foamers?
"No foamers?

I love that term! :D

Re: 30 September at Otay - One for the Books

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:58 pm
by DarkShadow
TATomlinson wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:56 pm The strange thing is that all but 2 were about 8” long. I’ve never seen anything like it.
But those 8" fish are so much fun on the ultralight setup tho, right?!