Page 1 of 1

Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 1:35 pm
by Perch killer
Little change of scenery for me this foggy AM. Nice enough conditions notwithstanding some moderate salad . . enough to be a nuisance but fishable. Line in the water about 6:20 with mussel meat the bait to start. Not much action, just nibblers & bait stealing for about an hour, no takers. Switched over to some leftover salted/frozen BW's and got hit almost immediately for a nice mid size, 15" or so, corbina. On the very next cast, I meet up with his little brother, a 13" model. Nice to feel those tugs once again. Perch were going crazy as well but couldn't get any to stick. It was a nice bite while it lasted and as the salad conditions were getting worse with the tide getting closer to the high, decided to call it a successful session and pack it in for today.
Bean1.jpg

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 2:40 pm
by Dry Fly Rie
Man, a rare Corbina sighting. Good for you!

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 3:07 pm
by jwacky
Nice outing, Bill!

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 6:02 pm
by kastmaster
Nicely done!

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 6:23 pm
by Midnightpass
A great 2026 session Bill… It’s been a tough year… Two in a a session is fantastic…

Butch

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 9:27 pm
by Perch killer
Midnightpass wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2026 6:23 pm A great 2026 session Bill… It’s been a tough year… Two in a a session is fantastic…

Butch
Thanks Butch. I was hopeful but no high expectations the way El Nino has been kicking our butts this summer. Very lucky.

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:14 am
by vito1023
Sorry what does Frozen BW stand for?

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:20 am
by Fullmetal37
vito1023 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:14 am Sorry what does Frozen BW stand for?
I’m guessing bloodworms

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:47 am
by Midnightpass
Fullmetal37 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:20 am
vito1023 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:14 am Sorry what does Frozen BW stand for?
I’m guessing bloodworms
I'm betting Bill was using blood worms too... And they are very effective.. My go to when sand crabs aren't available.. Or sometimes even if they are available..
Butch

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am
by Perch killer
Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:58 am
by Nelson 1
Perch killer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
Do you hook the whole worm on or just pieces of the worm
Thanks

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 9:47 am
by Mike A
Nice outing, seems things could be turning around.

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 10:07 am
by Perch killer
Nelson 1 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:58 am
Perch killer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
Do you hook the whole worm on or just pieces of the worm
Thanks
If the worm is 6-7", I'll cut it in half. I like to put a 3-4" piece on a 2 or 4 hook.

Re: Solana Beach 8/23

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2026 8:00 am
by Midnightpass
Perch killer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
I do, Bill... I'm too cheap to throw away $1-1/2 to $2 worms. :roll:
Butch