Solana Beach 8/23
- Perch killer
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 378
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 258 times
- Been thanked: 400 times
Solana Beach 8/23
Little change of scenery for me this foggy AM. Nice enough conditions notwithstanding some moderate salad . . enough to be a nuisance but fishable. Line in the water about 6:20 with mussel meat the bait to start. Not much action, just nibblers & bait stealing for about an hour, no takers. Switched over to some leftover salted/frozen BW's and got hit almost immediately for a nice mid size, 15" or so, corbina. On the very next cast, I meet up with his little brother, a 13" model. Nice to feel those tugs once again. Perch were going crazy as well but couldn't get any to stick. It was a nice bite while it lasted and as the salad conditions were getting worse with the tide getting closer to the high, decided to call it a successful session and pack it in for today.
-
Dry Fly Rie
- Angler
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Sun May 07, 2023 6:12 pm
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 33 times
- kastmaster
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 470 times
- Been thanked: 334 times
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1129
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 827 times
- Been thanked: 639 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
A great 2026 session Bill… It’s been a tough year… Two in a a session is fantastic…
Butch
Butch
- Perch killer
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 378
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 258 times
- Been thanked: 400 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
Thanks Butch. I was hopeful but no high expectations the way El Nino has been kicking our butts this summer. Very lucky.Midnightpass wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2026 6:23 pm A great 2026 session Bill… It’s been a tough year… Two in a a session is fantastic…
Butch
-
Fullmetal37
- Angler
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2025 1:10 am
- Location: San Diego
- Been thanked: 18 times
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1129
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 827 times
- Been thanked: 639 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
I'm betting Bill was using blood worms too... And they are very effective.. My go to when sand crabs aren't available.. Or sometimes even if they are available..
Butch
- Perch killer
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 378
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 258 times
- Been thanked: 400 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
-
Nelson 1
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 11:06 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 415 times
- Been thanked: 280 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
Do you hook the whole worm on or just pieces of the wormPerch killer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
Thanks
- Perch killer
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 378
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 258 times
- Been thanked: 400 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
If the worm is 6-7", I'll cut it in half. I like to put a 3-4" piece on a 2 or 4 hook.Nelson 1 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:58 amDo you hook the whole worm on or just pieces of the wormPerch killer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
Thanks
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1129
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 827 times
- Been thanked: 639 times
Re: Solana Beach 8/23
I do, Bill... I'm too cheap to throw away $1-1/2 to $2 worms.Perch killer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2026 8:34 am Yes, blood worms. These were left overs which I salt, let sit out awhile to absorb, then freeze in ziploc. If you just freeze them, they will be mushy when thaw out. They seem to firm up from the salt & hold up really good on the hook. Butch, I believe you do the same with your leftovers ?
Butch
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests