This is the way
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2026 4:07 pm
Sipping a beer at Fathom when I notice the rod bend over. First fish with a beer in hand.
Fish Reports, News, Discussion and Information about Fishing in Southern California. Freshwater and Saltwater fishing reports.
https://sdfish.org/
Ironically, I bought some almost expired Tilapia on sale at the grocery store, wanted to try something new. Drop shot and circle hook.DarkShadow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 4:52 pm Spotties and beer! What a way to spend the day.
What'd you get him on?
Put 6 pound test on that, and it's Vintage BFS!kastmaster wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 5:20 pm Extra style points getting it on the rebuilt Mitchell 300.
DarkShadow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 8:59 pmPut 6 pound test on that, and it's Vintage BFS!kastmaster wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 5:20 pm Extra style points getting it on the rebuilt Mitchell 300.
Mitchell is paired with a yellow 5 ft Eagle Claw vintage rod. The color combo gives the rig the name 'The Bumblebee'DarkShadow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 8:59 pmPut 6 pound test on that, and it's Vintage BFS!kastmaster wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 5:20 pm Extra style points getting it on the rebuilt Mitchell 300.
I still have my Mitchell Garcia fishing rod from when I was a kid.kastmaster wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 5:20 pm Extra style points getting it on the rebuilt Mitchell 300.
Was taking a break from fishing outer pier. Moved rod to where I could watch it from Fathom Bistro, cast it out, went to order, came back with beer, sat down, couple next to me yelled "Oh!" as I simultaneously saw rod pumping. 2nd photo is literally my view of the rod. Had to step over chain to get to it, can't bring your beer outside the chain.DaDTaughtMe2Fish wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2026 3:55 pm Day old Talapia, Mitchell Garcia reel, rod unattended, open container....
Sounds like you were at a family function and knew it was next to the water so grabbed gear just in case??