Page 1 of 1
8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 6:33 am
by VinnyBass
On the way home, I stopped by Murray on Monday morning. It was around 7:30 am and there were 11 boats out in the water and and 12th boat pulling up to the launch ramp when I was leaving. I was amazed, but then again not surprised with not other options for boat owners. Talk about fishing pressure, Murray has been getting it for a while now.
I decided to take a chance and launch my boat Tuesday morning. Spoke to Dannicus at the ramp which is always nice and then launched quickly in anticipation of a bunch of guys pulling up with boats. I was surprised and lucky that only 5 other boats besides me were out on the water. Caught a handful of bass that were all small which seems to be the pattern for my last few trips there with one bass thankfully being slightly over 3lbs.
Anyway....I know this sounds selfish, but I hope is that it rains like crazy this winter and the lake levels go back to where all the bass fishermen will be able to fish there favorite lakes again and not just have Murray as their only option. So sad that the City has created this whole mess. Anyway tight lines

ps Nice seeing you out on the water Paul(the Swim jig King).
My average bass just like what
@Mcfish catches
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 6:38 am
by Gotfish?
We bay fishermen are lucky the city hasn't figured out how to ruin the bay fishing. Although closing the restrooms at Mission Bay is a start.
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 8:48 am
by StinkyPinky23
San Vicente the same thing plus water contact. Look at how many people that almost/never fished el cap have been hammering that place lately
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 9:00 am
by VinnyBass
StinkyPinky23 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2026 8:48 am
San Vicente the same thing plus water contact. Look at how many people that almost/never fished el cap have been hammering that place lately
I can only imagine what San V looks like and always dreaded that long walk back up to get my truck which is now a lot worse than years ago. Just a total mess what is going on at the City lakes!
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 10:25 am
by Moose
I think we are all praying that this El Nino actually pans out and helps get the rest of the lakes back online. With the track record of predicted rain in the past, calling for major storms only to get a slight drizzle, I'll believe in the El Nino when I actually see significant rain. If it doesn't come through we are severely screwed. There is already talk about losing San V by January at its current rate of water loss, which is 16-18" a week right now.
Let the rain dances begin!!
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 2:09 pm
by Bigbertha
Was at San v this past Sunday.fishing was ok about 10 bass couple on top most on wacky rig. Hardest part was standing on the deck with 4 foot waves from wakeboard boats! Please El Niño help San Diego out

can you imagine what’s gonna happen if it doesn’t rain?
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 5:02 pm
by KillinTime
Well the rain dance was successful 2022 and 2023. All I saw was a bunch of water being released down river right into the ocean. "Due to the Dam's structural integrate".... Sure. If it rains like everyone wants or expects it to, they will just let it go down the river once the dams meet their "maxim safe limits". Then they will sell our water rights again to bail out the City of SD's poor business/ budget decisions. Cap is an earthen damn, how bad could it be? I might buy the concrete damn song and dance...
Nice report by the way!
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 7:59 pm
by JWall
VinnyBass wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2026 6:33 am
On the way home, I stopped by Murray on Monday morning. It was around 7:30 am and there were 11 boats out in the water and and 12th boat pulling up to the launch ramp when I was leaving. I was amazed, but then again not surprised with not other options for boat owners. Talk about fishing pressure, Murray has been getting it for a while now.
I decided to take a chance and launch my boat Tuesday morning. Spoke to Dannicus at the ramp which is always nice and then launched quickly in anticipation of a bunch of guys pulling up with boats. I was surprised and lucky that only 5 other boats besides me were out on the water. Caught a handful of bass that were all small which seems to be the pattern for my last few trips there with one bass thankfully being slightly over 3lbs.
Anyway....I know this sounds selfish, but I hope is that it rains like crazy this winter and the lake levels go back to where all the bass fishermen will be able to fish there favorite lakes again and not just have Murray as their only option. So sad that the City has created this whole mess. Anyway tight lines

ps Nice seeing you out on the water Paul(the Swim jig King).
IMG_8151.jpg
IMG_8153.jpg
My average bass just like what @Mcfish catches lol.gif
Nothing selfish about that VB. In fact, thats the best outcome that can happen…as long as the City doesn’t allow those rains to flow down river and out to sea.
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 10:04 pm
by DarkShadow
JWall wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2026 7:59 pm
....doesn’t allow those rains to flow down river and out to sea.
And to imagine that's what normally happened to rain before dams.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: 8/4-Pressured Murray
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2026 1:33 pm
by Mcfish
This El Nino is looking similar to the 2015 , which I believe was a disappointment for winter rains! Even if we get big rains, the dams at El Cap, Morena, Hodges , and possibly Otay, will not allow higher water levels..per the State! Even if Sutherland fills up, they will drain it down to San Vicente! Sutherland is now at 8%!