Page 1 of 1
Beating the heat
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 2:45 pm
by fglover
I love fishing here but the 85° days just make it feel impossible to enjoy.. Im currently just wearing a UV protecting (and breathable) long sleeve, shorts, sunglasses, and a hat but still the heat eventually gets to me. I like to go early mornings to beat the heat but usually by 9 I'm sweating like a pig.
Anyone got some secrets that help keep the heat off?
Or is the solution to go even earlier

Re: Beating the heat
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 3:14 pm
by Neuroshima
Spearfishing.

Re: Beating the heat
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 3:18 pm
by foulhook
85 Degrees is nice and cool, try the Menifee area where it's 105 degrees
Re: Beating the heat
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:11 pm
by Gotfish?
Evaporative cooling. Dip your hat and sleeves in the water. I also take a thin cotton dish towel, wet it and put around my neck. If you are in a float tube, then roll the waders down and splash water on your thighs. I keep an extra empty bottle on my float tube for pouring water on my thighs. Works as a pee bottle too (rinse before using to pour water). I also wear a thin, light colored (even white), UPF50 long sleeve shirt. My hat is light colored too. I would wear white waders if I could get them.
You can buy one of these but I am not convinced it works better than a dish towel:
https://www.google.com/search?q=evapora ... b&ie=UTF-8
I use evaporative cooling for my water bottles (2 of the 28 ounce size) on the float tube too. I have bicycle water bottle cages that put the bottom of the bottles in the water and then I have an old sock over the water bottle to wick water up the sides of the bottle. Keeps it about 10-20F cooler than the lake water temperature. If you are in a boat, then bring lots of ice water in a thermos. Have something salty to eat to replace the salt lost in sweating (beef jerky, pretzels or sesame sticks work). Beer may taste great but it is a bad choice for being in the hot sun all day.
If I was shore fishing, I would use a Camelbak (or similar hydration pack) with water and lots of ice cubes. Getting your feet wet helps a lot too. If I am going to get my feet wet, I wear double layer socks so I don't get blisters if I have to hike any distance.
https://www.wrightsock.com/collections/ ... AQQAvD_BwE
I have fished Barrett when it is 103F.
Re: Beating the heat
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:28 pm
by Gotfish?
Also, the hat should be wide brim and ideally with a back neck flap such as
https://www.amazon.com/UPF50-Hiking-Saf ... th=1&psc=1 . Baseball caps do not provide much sun or heat protection.
Sungloves are good too, there are many half finger gloves for fishing to pick from. They also help cooling when wet. Get light colored if you can. I got these at Turner's:
https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Monkey-Prot ... r=8-2&th=1