Page 1 of 2

Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 7:40 pm
by tomnilll
Headed out for the short trip north (for me from east Oside) to Vail lake. Got there first, love to see a clear bank. Was just getting light and walked the bank with 6 whopper plopper blowups and 2 fish...nothing special but...topwater. I walked farther than I ever had down the near shore and decided to head back more than a little disappointed because I caught my favorite Kistler rod at the back of what was to be a long cast (it was in my pack) and, snap it went...bummer. Nothing on the way back to the launch and by now the campers woke up and the bank was not clear...so I headed across the mud to the far shore.

Picked up a few little healthy guys and then lost one in some lumber and ended up with a bent hook. For some reason the phrase "big bait, big fish" popped into my head so i tied on a 5/0 EWG hook and put on a fresh worm. As I was about toss it out and saw a boil and thought "probably a carp" but what the hell and tossed at it and BANG! it was on. First time I saw her I still thought it was a carp...it was so big, it just did not make sense as a bass. After a bunch of line went out she came up again and I saw it was a bass and the holy shits started...I got really scared, but kept good tension and she made two more runs and then she was ready. Got her to the bank and grabbed her by the giant mouth and tried to lift her up and it was a struggle...any way here she is.
20260801_092949.jpg
A second picture showing my grimace trying to take the selfie and hold that pig up...
20260801_092857.jpg
And lastly, a blury picture of the scale...just in case you cant read it...it reads 10lbs 15oz!
20260801_092728.jpg

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 7:45 pm
by hosemonkey
Congrats! That is a BIG deal!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 7:50 pm
by otaymichael
Too cool.
OK, see the note on the weight, 10.15.
Congrats.

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 8:15 pm
by VinnyBass
Congratulations on the new PB!
Very nice!!!!
Thanks for sharing and tight lines always :-)

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 8:22 pm
by Osidecoffee
Sheeesh! Congrats!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 8:49 pm
by DarkShadow
Nice! I thought that place was closed.

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:12 pm
by tomnilll
DarkShadow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2026 8:49 pm Nice! I thought that place was closed.
It is...don't go.


😜

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:20 am
by galen
Heck of a fish, in the middle of summer too!!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:44 am
by vito1023
Beautiful fish, largest I’ve seen posted this year I think.
Congrats

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 8:35 am
by 1Fishdude
Congrats Tom. What a great fish. Vail and Henshaw were my go to lakes when learning to fish for bass.

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 9:09 am
by Kenroe
Double digits!!!
Yes.
Great catch from the shore!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 12:50 pm
by Kenroe
I have great memories fishing Vail & Skinner in the early 80's.
Private boats were permitted at both & it was great fishing.
Ahh, the good Ole days...

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:38 pm
by DarkShadow
tomnilll wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:12 pm
DarkShadow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2026 8:49 pm Nice! I thought that place was closed.
It is...don't go.


😜
I still remember having to slip Yaraslov $10 to fish from shore there years ago. :D

Those were the days.

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:56 am
by Queue
I've done many laps around that lake with an Eboat over the last 8 years and shocked several thousand bass and not gotten one over 7 lbs. You got yourself a unicorn. Congratulations!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 10:51 am
by JWall
Freakin Awesome!! 👏

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 1:52 pm
by KillinTime
Congratulations! Nice details in your report too!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 2:15 pm
by tomnilll
Queue wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:56 am I've done many laps around that lake with an Eboat over the last 8 years and shocked several thousand bass and not gotten one over 7 lbs. You got yourself a unicorn. Congratulations!
I think its the first one over 3 lbs for me too!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2026 12:18 pm
by Pourboy
Amazing fish and great story. Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there in decades. Cheers!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2026 1:17 pm
by Moose
Awesome!! Congrats on the DD and welcome to the club!

Re: Back to Vail lake and a PB!

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2026 3:38 pm
by tomnilll
Moose wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2026 1:17 pm Awesome!! Congrats on the DD and welcome to the club!
Thanks! Where do i pick up the club patch and learn the secret hand shake?