Page 1 of 1
Really a reel question
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2026 1:24 am
by Shawnster
Hey guys, I had the bright idea to maintain all of my baitcasters to ring in the new season. I’ve never tinkered with the innards of my reels before but what could go wrong? Anyway, I failed miserably and I’m kinda f#%cked now.
Any recommendations on where I can take them for a quickish fix? Appreciate you.
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2026 5:30 am
by JWall
The quick part is the trick. Most tackle stores will want a few days to service a reel. Best bet is a friend in the know with a bit of time on his hands. Sorry to report thats not me. Maybe call around to shops and see turnaround times?
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2026 12:39 pm
by Shawnster
Thanks John. I will start the calling around! I didn’t even know shops did this.
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2026 1:50 pm
by lazyfisherman
Some shops do it in house while others send to different vendors. Hard part is this is the busy season for saltwater gear. I've seen some places have a 1-2 month turnaround time.
It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.
alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 12:13 pm
by Shawnster
lazyfisherman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2026 1:50 pm
Some shops do it in house while others send to different vendors. Hard part is this is the busy season for saltwater gear. I've seen some places have a 1-2 month turnaround time.
It's not too hard to get it back together as long as you have the schematics.
alantani.com is a very good resource with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to answer any questions you have.
Thanks Lazy. I had not heard of alantani before. Got lost in it for a while. I’m going to try my best with local repair shops.
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 4:04 pm
by KJ_ToadCult
I think East County Bait and Tackle does this as well as Slugg Fishing in Poway.
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 6:08 pm
by Shawnster
I’ll check out Slugg. East county has a 8 week backlog. Ugh
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 6:17 pm
by Gotfish?
There are some tips at
https://www.sdfish.org/viewtopic.php?p= ... air#p25370 . Lots of YouTube videos online too.
But if you have zero mechanical ability, you might be best to have them serviced.
What are the symptoms of your reels now? Hopefully, you did not end up with parts left over. Or you couldn't get it back together at all.
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2026 7:20 am
by TommyP
Go see Doug @ Dana Landing in Mission Bay....he is really good. But he is there in the am only, he can service anything.
TommyP
Re: Really a reel question
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2026 8:02 am
by Shawnster
Thanks guys. I’ll check out the resources you’ve recommended as well.