Used torn soft plastics

Discuss rods, reels, lures, terminal tackle, line and fishing related accessories or apparel.
La Mesan
Angler

Used torn soft plastics

Post by La Mesan »

What is your recommendation for getting some extented life out of your plastics? Is remelting and mold pouring worth the time? Or would soft plastic glues work as good? I'm not looking to patch a tear on a big swimbait. Just some Mann's Jelly Worm, Zoom flukes & some Ned rigs. I usually melt a piece of similar soft plastic in with the tear. How good is Mend-it and does it work with Zman?
Thanks
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Used torn soft plastics

Post by camobass »

Never used mendit on zman, not sure if it would work but it works on just about everything else. From splicing baits, fixing hook holes and tears.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
StinkyPinky23
Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

X2 on mend-it, x2 on idk about the elaztech plastics. It absolutely will extend the life of your soft plastics. Boot tails in the salt (kelp especially) get destroyed and mend-it will make them last much longer
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Mend-it works on PVC based plastics (traditional soft plastics), would not expect it to work on Zman since PVC and Zman melt together in a big mess when in contact. Be sure to the bottle upside down when done so it doesn't dry out as fast.

Superglue works on PVC too, not as flexible as Mend-it, should work on Zman too. Even worse for drying out fast.

I have had some success with regular PVC pipe cement but haven't found one that works as well as Mend-it.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

I used to use a lighter as a kid. Wonder how many yummy fumes I inhaled.

Glad to see they designed something a lot better.

I see people just using crazy glue, in a gel format. What's the difference between Mend It and Super Glue?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Mendit “melts” the plastics together. It is a liquid and leaves a rubber like substance when dry on the bottle but as far as the plastic worm etc, it actually melts the plastic and seals it together leaving the repair pliable. You can put too much on and the tear will actually open up. I’m no chemist nor have I looked into the chemical reaction.

Super glue glue can work but it leaves the repair hard, not flexible. Also water accelerates the super glue drying process and if it’s not dry, when you dunk the wet glue, it will leave a white, hard crust at the repair. Even CA super glue.

Hope that helps. Mendit is awesome. I use it mainly on more expensive swim baits but have also gone through used plastics after a day of fishing and made them like new again.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

camobass wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:44 pmMendit is awesome. I use it mainly on more expensive swim baits but have also gone through used plastics after a day of fishing and made them like new again.
My favorite super secret bait is no longer being made. I think Mend It might extend the life of the torn ones that I've tossed around the boat and random bags and boxes!

Thanks.
Just_Bass
Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

Mend it doesn’t really work on Elaztech stuffs especially ZinkerZ would melt. Now if it worth, really depends on damage and how many you can fix at once. Mend-it will dry after opened so it is not good to fix just a few pieces a time. Mend-it work well if you have a lot of surface to work with like connect 2 half Senko together, just like @camobass mentioned mend-it fuses melted plastic. Mend-it doesn’t work well with tear from hook damage especially the head. Even though you can fix the tear but that area would be really weak spot from melting and maybe last only one fish.
I’m on the second bottle, the first one dry ( still half in there) second one i store in refrigerator and still usable. For nose hook worm type I don’t fix, just bite off the damage area.
senkosam
Angler

Post by senkosam »

Consider these ideas I just posted:
viewtopic.php?p=5526#p5526

You can still repair soft plastics with a candle flame and then a battery-powered soldering iron to smooth the seam. Good as new!
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Mend-it is good but lately I have been liking this just as well and it lasts a lot longer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-16-oz ... f04ee7dacd

Not the same as PVC pipe cement, works a lot better.