Page 1 of 1
Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Fri May 01, 2026 1:14 pm
by kastmaster
A fish caught on the first cast of the day means you will catch exactly 1 fish today.
Blood loss due to hooking yourself is a good way to avoid a skunk.
Please share yours!
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Fri May 01, 2026 2:52 pm
by Gotfish?
Whenever I see "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work" on a bumper sticker, I think that guy must have a miserable job. I would rather be at work than be skunked. I absolutely hate getting skunked.
More:
"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."
"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept its mouth shut."
From
https://www.reelcoquinafishing.com/blog ... ing-quotes
Another: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 8:13 pm
by Carpkiller
Fish on the first cast almost always means poor fishing that day.
Also....
I had a pair of lucky fishing socks. They eventually wore out...
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Sun May 03, 2026 7:24 am
by Midnightpass
Yep..... The infamous "1st cast curse".... Know it well...
Butch
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 8:46 am
by Brian D
Of all the fish in the sea, the mermaid is the one for me.
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 11:01 am
by Fisherdan760
No one is going to mention the banana in the boat curse??
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 9:18 pm
by Dramad1
If it smells like trout get tf out, if it taste like chicken...keep on lickin'
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 8:42 am
by Spektrum
Gotfish? wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 2:52 pm
Whenever I see "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work" on a bumper sticker, I think that guy must have a miserable job. I would rather be at work than be skunked. I absolutely hate getting skunked.
More:
"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."
"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept its mouth shut."
From
https://www.reelcoquinafishing.com/blog ... ing-quotes
Another: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"
You must be one of the lucky ones that doesn’t hate their job
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 8:42 am
by Spektrum
Fisherdan760 wrote: Tue May 05, 2026 11:01 am
No one is going to mention the banana in the boat curse??
I bring a bunch on every long range trip
Re: Fishing Superstitions - Proverbs
Posted: Fri May 08, 2026 8:08 pm
by Gotfish?
kastmaster wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 1:14 pm
A fish caught on the first cast of the day means you will catch exactly 1 fish today.
Blood loss due to hooking yourself is a good way to avoid a skunk.
Please share yours!
I was at the bay today and caught 3 fish on the 1st 3 casts. Wound up with 1 corvina, 1 halibut and 43 spotties. Imagine how many more I would have caught if I had not caught that 1st fish. Fortunately, I did not have to hook myself either.