Lake Hodges

Love to target the hard-fighting carp? Talk about these powerful fish here.
Nelson 1
Angler

Re: Lake Hodges

Post by Nelson 1 »

I was right of the fishing Pier about 100 yards.
Tubefly
Angler

Post by Tubefly »

Oh - I started at the pier and went left - just missed you - I am heading back to the east side again - saw more carp there than anywhere for me
That plus the sun should be out again - hoping that will help
Tubefly
Angler

Post by Tubefly »

Lots of carp out early - it was like a parade - they stuck to the middle of the arm moving to the left or to the right - mouths out of the water as they passed by -
Ended up with 2 channnel cats - I put one on the reel - nice fish
Fishingnoob619
Angler

Post by Fishingnoob619 »

I know it’s been a while but the Fly shop here in SD does guided fly fishing trips for carp. Maybe you could call and ask about some techniques or certain flies. Check them out. Guide trips seem pricey though but I don’t know what guide trips go for.

https://www.theflystop.com/san-diego-fl ... ly-fishing
Tubefly
Angler

Post by Tubefly »

Lord knows, I could use the help
Thanks
tomnilll
Pro Angler

Post by tomnilll »

I was out looking for bass last Wednesday morning and saw some big carp (5+lbs easy) very near the shore down on the Hernandez side...I think I may try my normal Guajome setup next week. I'll let you know how it goes...
tomnilll
Pro Angler

Post by tomnilll »

I promised an update...here it is.

Got there around 6 am and headed to my "secret carp spot" where I had seen them the other day.
20230809_060158.jpg
I spent about 3 1/2 hours with carp bait (homemade dough) and since I was bored I threw a few casts with crankbait. Some of my results below (in time order):
20230809_063937.jpg
20230809_070116.jpg
20230809_072718.jpg
20230809_074318.jpg
20230809_081807.jpg
Final Tally:

5 Bass (biggest~4lbs)
3 catfish (seemed like the same one each time?)
0 Carp :cry:

0 complaints!
clee
Angler

Post by clee »

The only way to catch a carp on the fly consistently is to find the ones feeding. Otherwise it's almost impossible to catch one. Sure you may get lucky and catch an incidental one but I can guarantee it will not be duplicated. I've never been to Hodges but you'll need to do more observing than fishing. Patience is a virtue here. Casting is not. Watch for tailing fish, mud clouds or any disturbance in the water that would indicate a fish is feeding. This really can only be done in the shallows since if they are deep you'll never see any of this. Lead your fly to the the fish and slowly strip. If there is no flats area at Hodges you may need to go to another lake. It took me some time before I got my first one, so keep at it. Also when you feel the fish, strip set the hook. It took me about ten break offs before I could program myself to do this. At the time I was fishing alot of bass and I was setting my hook like Bill Dance and broke off every time. Once the carp is hooked just gently raise your rod and fight it. Good luck!
Pourboy
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Get out there for carp now! There are literally hundred everywhere. I caught 2 by accident while bass fishing and had to leave one area because there were just too many around to fish. Bowhunters get out there now!! They are all over the shoreline.