Float tube essentials....

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Float tube essentials....

Post by Carpkiller »

Stuff that you might not see on other boards.

1. I keep a little plastic tub with a snap-on lid in the tube. When I remove a lure, it goes into the tub rather than back with the other tackle. Easy rinse after fishing...let dry before putting back in the tackle box or bag.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Re: Float tube essentials....

Post by Gotfish? »

I use an old beef jerky zip lock bag, the hooks don't snag in that type plastic and it takes up less room than a tub. Either way, critical for saltwater fishing.
Eg3210
Angler

Post by Eg3210 »

Thanks for the great idea. Can't believe I never thought of this. I usually forget what I used and have to decide between being lazy and getting rust hooks or washing the whole tackle bag
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

I'll chip in my two cents. For me, the critical essentials other than the basic tube, waders, fins, setups, lures, etc are are a few pieces of safety equipment. Two PFDs. I wear an inflatable one and sit on a throwable one. I also wear a whistle and a headlamp in the dark or low light conditions. I also put my phone and keys in water proof containers. A net and pliers are great for for fishing and also safety with trebles. I also always bring water. Even a single bottle can be a lifesaver.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Along the same lines, a pair of plastic pliers for holder the fish's mouth open while removing hooks with the metal needle nose pliers. Spotties in particular like to clamp down on the lure when landed, halibut aren't safe to have fingers around the mouth, some fish will take the lure deeply. The spines on some fish make it hard to hold onto them otherwise. Especially makes removing treble hooks safer.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pr ... 7c71162a83

Fishing tip of the day: when a fish swallows a hook deeply and you can't get the needle nose in deep enough thru the mouth or at the right angle, put the pliers in thru the gills. A guide showed that trick to me, works great.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Tethers to secure fins to ankles in case a fin comes loose or off for a reason. If you have expensive fins like Force Fins a cheap insurance policy (Force Fins dont float). If you cheap fins, still a good insurance policy. Trying to kick back in with one fin sucks. There are a number of commercial fin tethers available and they don't cost much. You can make your own pretty cheaply.

I always carry a double action pump with me behind the seat in my tube (Outcast Fish Cat). Nice to have if the tube deflates a bit due to cold water, cooling air, or a slow leak.

Handheld GPS to mark spots and go back another time. Well, not essential, but useful and doesnt take up much space.

Small dry bag for extra clothing, jacket, etc.

Small first aid kit with minimal essentials. I use a small Pelican waterproof case with some different size bandages, antimicrobial wipes, antibiotic ointment and some of that medical wrap tape that stick to itself and not my skin. Maybe a few advil or tylenol. Useful to clean up treat small wounds from hooks or spines. The pills may help if you get a body ache or cast too much. Instead of a Pelican or other hard case a thick plastic waterproof pouch will suffice.

Electrolyte powder packets or tablets to add to water bottle for those long days kicking around in the sun.

Spare pair of cheap sunglasses. Before I started wearing prescription glasses I also carried a pair of safety glasses for eye protection during low light conditions.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Besides a lot mentioned above, I always carry gorilla vinyl repair tape and my dual action pump. It has saved a trip twice for me. If you have a slow leak or like mentioned above, temp change, the pump is helpful. The tape is when you have an obvious hole. Both times for me was throwing a big rat. One time at night, snagged a tree, rat sling shot back and sank in the tube. FAST leak. Second, fish through the rat and sank in the tube again. Those big hooks cause rapid air loss. The vinyl tape is still holding years later.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Surprised this was not mentioned. I carry a 2-3' length of plastic tubing for inflating by mouth. 3/4" OD fits tightly in the Boston valve. Helps with those annoying slow leaks or temperature changes.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

When fishing very close to structure (docks, bridge pilings, rocks, brush, etc), I like to use a hand paddle to push off or make small adjustments to position. Mine has a cut out in the paddle to hook things which is useful when retrieving something dropped in the water.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Rattus wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:17 am When fishing very close to structure (docks, bridge pilings, rocks, brush, etc), I like to use a hand paddle to push off or make small adjustments to position. Mine has a cut out in the paddle to hook things which is useful when retrieving something dropped in the water.
Good idea but I think I will use a net to do that since I already have a small net attached to a tether. Should have thought of that yesterday.

And tethers are a good idea. For my net, just a string. For my pliers, a coiled cord I got from Ace Hardware. My snippers and fish counter are on a retractor.

And as far as nets go, get rubber mesh, not fiber string. Easier on the fish and treble hooks don't get stuck in it like they do in string.
danielCreigge
Angler

Post by danielCreigge »

Hello guys, do you recommand me to buy a brand new float tube or second hand float tube can as good ? thank u
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I’ve fished many second hand tubes through my 30 years of float tubing. Great used deals out there. Look at pics closely if you are buying from places like eBay. Look for sun fading which means heavy use or tossed in the back yard. Look for corrosion on zippers from salt. Don’t buy those. A lot of people buy a tube thinking they will use it a lot then don’t. Those are the great deals. If you have money falling out of your pockets, buy new. But not necessary
Leaks are usually easy to patch with gorilla clear vinyl tape. Seam leaks are possible to fix but if some one says it leaks, try to get exact info. Don’t get one with a seam leak. Sometimes you can find new old stock replacement bladders on eBay cheap
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Some good tip above. Some variations on those tips and more tips:
1. Instead of electrolytes: beef jerky or pretzels. Clif Bloks in Margarita flavor are good too. https://shop.clifbar.com/products/clif- ... -margarita
2. Sealing seam and other leaks: a dab of Shoe Goo or Amazing Good applied from the inside.
3. Great adhesive tape in general: https://www.rei.com/product/851473/tear ... 2636f79451 . Waterproof and very adherent.
4. Rip in the fabric: sew on some cloth, coat with some Shoe Goo, dry and good to go. An ice cube is an amazingly good way to smooth out Shoe Goo.
5. Use phone for storing GPS points.
6. There's no good reason not to use plenty of sun protection since you are right next to the water and can wet down your clothes or hat to cool off. Wide brim hat, sun gloves, long sleeve shirt and sunglasses a must.
7. Nose piece or plastic rim on the sunglasses coming off? Clean off all body oils and super glue.
8. Bicycle water bottle cages mounted on the rod holder are nice. On a full day trip on Barrett, I will go thru 2 bottles.

Things I am still working on:
A good way to repair Force Fins when they get fatigue cracks. Have tried marine epoxy and G10 laminate but the epoxy eventually lets loose from the Force Fins. Have tried other fins but come back to the FF. $$$$

Getting the motivation and time to lube and service my reels before they show a problem. I would rather be fishing.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Here's my gear list for tubing in general. I have another list specific to Barrett....
Seems like a lot but it's mostly small stuff.
And some of it stays in the truck (dry clothes, Crocs, towel) unless it's a tide ride/portage trip.

And depending on where you're headed....knowing the location of public restrooms that are open at oh-dark-hundred can be a good thing. Your morning caffeine and a drive to south bay can paint you into a corner. And you won't like the corner, or the paint.

Did you know there's a warm, well-lit restroom open 24 hours, on the south end of the city hall building in Coronado?
Attachments
Float Tube Gear List.docx
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

I always bring Water, a Ziplock with some Trail Mix and a Whistle. And now that I’m throwing Braid, a ziplock with 4 yards of Fluorocarbon Leader. I also carry a tethered 8 inch pair of Hemostats with Scissors. The tether is made out of a length of coiled Phone Cord and a Snap Swivel on each end held together with Shrink Tube.