I'm back for good

Discussions not related to fishing.
plako
Angler

I'm back for good

Post by plako »

Folks, I do apologize for being at least partially responsible for this forced upgrade from .com to .org by my postings in the old Lounge since I never had something meaningful to brag for and post on other forums. Having said this, I may only rarely post here but I'll strictly follow the rules. There is so much valuable info that I', so glad I still can find here. And more - I can ask specific questions for fishing hopefully you may answer ignoring my strong political opinions expressed on the old site.
Again, thanks for preserving the site and for accepting me to become a member, regardless of my previous activity.
plako
Angler

Re: I'm back for good

Post by plako »

Old vs. new site
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Although we've rarely seen eye-to-eye, you've always been respectful and never resorted to name calling. We will never be a free society if we are not allow to express our opinions. Your opposing views have educated me in areas I was naïve in, and even if I still don't agree, you've given me a perspective to think about and challenged my beliefs, and for that I am grateful.
admin
SDFish

Post by admin »

plako wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:34 am Folks, I do apologize for being at least partially responsible for this forced upgrade from .com to .org by my postings in the old Lounge since I never had something meaningful to brag for and post on other forums. Having said this, I may only rarely post here but I'll strictly follow the rules. There is so much valuable info that I', so glad I still can find here. And more - I can ask specific questions for fishing hopefully you may answer ignoring my strong political opinions expressed on the old site.
Again, thanks for preserving the site and for accepting me to become a member, regardless of my previous activity.
There are lots of places out there to discuss politics and religion. For the sake of keeping this forum enjoyable for the majority it's best to keep those topics out of it.
Welcome and look forward to seeing some fishing related posts! 8-)
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Why does everyone seem to think there was some nefarious reason the old site closed?
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Fisheromen wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:07 pm Why does everyone seem to think there was some nefarious reason the old site closed?
It kind of got cesspool like..people take it for granted that the sewage killed off the site.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Most people have some kind of skeletons in their closet...hopefully on this site we don't open any of those doors! Welcome, time to fish!
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

plako wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:34 am Folks, I do apologize for being at least partially responsible for this forced upgrade from .com to .org by my postings in the old Lounge since I never had something meaningful to brag for and post on other forums. Having said this, I may only rarely post here but I'll strictly follow the rules. There is so much valuable info that I', so glad I still can find here. And more - I can ask specific questions for fishing hopefully you may answer ignoring my strong political opinions expressed on the old site.
I wouldn't assume you had anything to do with the old site shutting down. The owner has been completely out of contact and could have easily just shut down just the Lounge if that was the issue. The old site isn't preserved but the new site is somewhat modelled after the old site.

At any rate, you were never egregiously offensive so no apology needed. Now, how about some fishing questions or even pictures?
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

Fisheromen wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:07 pm Why does everyone seem to think there was some nefarious reason the old site closed?
Lots of nefarious reasons could abound, but not what people seem to be inferring. Lots of ways the old site could have kept going, but the guy that owned it obviously didn't care enough to be involved, especially after he stiffed all the people who paid for forum related apparel without so much as an explanation or refund. After that, he never showed up again except to publish his big expose on a certain bass angler. There were absolutely no active administrators on site to update, shape and spruce things up on the forum. The bottom line is for what ever reason, the owner didn't care about the website.
I am an administrator on two different sites, one of them, the owner died. I and another admin have been paying server fees and keeping things in order on the site, but when the domain needs to be renewed, the show is over because I don't own the domain and I am not allowed to pay for its renewal.

Things are more complicated or more simple than they may seem.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
Nute
Angler

Post by Nute »

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you had ZERO to do with the old site getting shut down. It was a simple 'let it die via, not paying the bill' situation. It was inevitable shortly after Kellen wrote the ML article.